How much is a travel visa to the USA

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Chazrob0914 said:

I have a new Filipina friend who wants to come and visit me in the USA.  She says she can obtain a 90 day travel visa.   She is not rich but is well established and has family ties.  I see that the US Government fee is $160.  She says that thru an agency she can get it for $1100.  Rip off?  Scam?

Appreciate any thoughts.

I do not understand your post.  If the fee is $160 as is mentioned on many sites, why does she need $1,100 ? Is she asking you to provide the $160?  Is she asking you to provide $1100.... if so, for exactly what? What would the service agency provide for that HUGE amount?  A ten minute web search provides quite a bit of information on this subject, which I won't bother typing up for you since it is easily found (USA tourist visa from Philippines), but I will add two things.

1. In the event she is not a scammer, a true tourist needs personal 'show money' valuation >$5,000 of financial capability to support their trip. Property records and photos, income tax records, employment certificate, 3 months of pay slips if employed, financial and bank statements, etc. Get the picture. 

2. The current political and social climate is not exactly conducive to welcoming 'tourists' from low economic level countries for the simple reason that many overstay their visas, disappear from sight and look for employment opportunities to exploit. It is so common that Filipinos have a term for it: TNT...... tago ng tago. Basically.... run & hide.  It is reported that most of the current illegals in the country came in through ports of entry, usually on air flights. They overstayed their legal visa duration and went off radar.  These people vastly outnumber those who sneak in over the land borders.  For that reason, immigration is very wary of anyone of posing under the guise of tourist, who has insufficient economic motivation to return to their home country after their tourist visit. Which is why most of the 100 million plus Filipinos cannot qualify for tourist visas. 

If your new Filipina friend can legally qualify for a tourist visa, that would be nice. Absent that, it would probably be cheaper and easier for you to take a brief vacation here to meet with her and enjoy her culture and country.  Good luck, and don't forget to let your fellow site members know how your adventure turns out since most are older and appreciate  reading true tales.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

KC813
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Chazrob0914 said:

I have a new Filipina friend who wants to come and visit me in the USA.  She says she can obtain a 90 day travel visa.   She is not rich but is well established and has family ties.  I see that the US Government fee is $160.  She says that thru an agency she can get it for $1100.  Rip off?  Scam?

Appreciate any thoughts.

ABSOLUTELY a scam (unless she holds a passport from some country other then Ph).

As OMW points out, the "90 day" part is completely bogus. 

The only thing an 'agency' can do is help her complete the on-line application and on-line appointment scheduler.  ALL PH first-time visa applicants MUST be interviewed, so none of  what we see in other countries of a "drop box" service, or visas by mail or through an agency.

• Like 2

Yeochief
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Mark57 said:

I read one time that about 95% of travel visas get turned down for Filipinos  and about the same percentage 95% get approved for Fiancé and spousal visas.

I read the same thing that Mark did.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, KC813 said:

As OMW points out, the "90 day" part is completely bogus. 

Not from my google search

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Not from my google search

Do tell!

From Visa Waiver listed countries, you get 90 days on arrival, without a visa.  

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Do tell!

From Visa Waiver listed countries, you get 90 days on arrival, without a visa.  

You said that it's up to who is stamping at arrivals so its not just to the discretion of who is mounting the post for the day. Please read your own posts. 

Chazrob0914
Posted
Posted

Thanks everyone.  All great points.  I agree 100%.  I guess i was just looking for a little assurance.  As someone pointed out, easier if I just to PI.

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

You said that it's up to who is stamping at arrivals so its not just to the discretion of who is mounting the post for the day. Please read your own posts. 

I'm not following you.

Somebody quoted me, agreeing that the 90 day visa is bogus.

You said, "Not from my Google search", which I took as meaning you Googled and found out something that contradicts "90 day visa is bogus".

So I said "Do tell"  meaning I'm surprised and can you provide the information you found in your Googling?

Regarding arrivals, etc., the U.S. Visa is issued by the U.S. State Dept. for a period of years, usually 10 for B2 tourist.  This allows you to get on the plane and arrive at a port of entry, but does not guarantee entry.  The ports of entry are staffed by a different department, U.S. CBP, and the officers do have discretion on how many days/months they allow you in.  As your Visa may be years old, they interview you and check the computer for the latest information on you.  They can deny you entry or give you X days/months to stay.  I believe most tourists without anything bad on their record are given 6 months to stay, even though you may be leaving in a week.

Moot topic anyway as it does not look like the OP is around.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Chazrob0914 said:

Thanks everyone.  All great points.  I agree 100%.  I guess i was just looking for a little assurance.  As someone pointed out, easier if I just to PI.

I'd be more inclined to find out where the figure of $1100 came from first - it may be that the Agency was scamming OR the female may be the culprit - in which case I'd be wary of coming over here to meet her! 

Mick
Posted
Posted (edited)

When I used an agency for my GF, it was only for convenience as they only provided a tick list of required documents and submitted, no garentee of anything, and the cost was around $160 for the service, with the visa fee on top, as we covered all requirements she got a 2 year multiple entry visa with a stay of 3 months max each visit 

Edited by Mick
Can't spell for peanuts
  • Like 2