New Drugs

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I've just been watching a documentary on drug abuse ,I thought I had heard of them all ,but theres a new one to me called Krokodil ,apparently is got its origins in Russia and its spreading out ,its hit the USA and Europe , has it got to the Phil's yet ? It's on a price level with shabu , it usually kills the user within a year ,their flesh falls off right down to the bone 

The pictures are quite disgusting of the users , I thought shabu was bad but this stuff 

Apparently it can be made from over the counter medicines 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I heard of Krokodil many years ago. It never really got popular in the USA, likely for the reasons you state. The big problem in the USA now is fentanyl, a very very strong opioid manufactured in China that is being pushed as an alternative to those addicted to heroin, oxycotin and other opioids. It is a huge problem because it is so potent it is easy to overdose and most addict's don't know that what they are getting was cut with fentanyl.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted

Just what we need, another drug to kill our children. I’m sure most of us here have witnessed the evils of drugs. I have seen it in my own family and know first hand the sorrow and pain it causes. I for one am happy to see the crackdown on drugs in the PI. I would love to see a worldwide campaign to end the scourge of drugs, but I know it won’t happen. To much money to be made from the most vulnerable among us. Very sad, wish I knew the answer.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, nor cal mike said:

Very sad, wish I knew the answer.

I think the only answer is for education through schools to hopefully help with the next generation of adults. 

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I think the only answer is for education through schools to hopefully help with the next generation of adults. 

We in the U.S. have been educating our school children about the dangers of drugs since I was in school and our drug problem gets worse every year. While we must continue the educational efforts we have to think outside the box. We must get a handle on drug abuse or face the reality of widespread and growing drug disabilities and the related social impact.

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

There was an experiment many years ago in England ,it took place at a town called Wigan.

They simply made heroin available on our NHS, diamorphine costs about 5 bucks a gram , its street value is in the region of 600 bucks .

They basically gave the addicts , diamorphine for free , crime dropped by 90 % , the numbers peaked and then leveled, the police wanted the system to continue ,but it was closed down by politicians

Heroin addicts are generally killed from the cramp that's in the illegal stuff

Fentynal  is lethal , the cops in the states have hypodermic syringes on them to counter the effects of fentanyl 

• Like 1

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

I'd just make all the 'decent' drugs legal and regulate them. A lot of the 'legal highs' are nasty, either too strong or impure because there's obviously no legal option anyway.
I remember when mephedrone first hit the UK and was legal about 10 years ago, loads of people just sniffing it off the pub table lol. Not for me though, tried it once and was staring at the wall on a come down for 12 hours the next day.

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

There was an experiment many years ago in England ,it took place at a town called Wigan.

They simply made heroin available on our NHS, diamorphine costs about 5 bucks a gram , its street value is in the region of 600 bucks .

They basically gave the addicts , diamorphine for free , crime dropped by 90 % , the numbers peaked and then leveled, the police wanted the system to continue ,but it was closed down by politicians

Heroin addicts are generally killed from the cramp that's in the illegal stuff

Fentynal  is lethal , the cops in the states have hypodermic syringes on them to counter the effects of fentanyl 

Politicians often get in the way of solutions. As I said before we need to think outside the box and I would certainly favor trying any and all ideas and especially one with this kind of results. I don’t see any real political effort to solve the problem in the U.S. I hear a lot of talk but little action. In the meantime we have to increase our efforts in schools and as parents do all we can to make sure our children know the dangers and the tragedies of drugs.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, nor cal mike said:

We in the U.S. have been educating our school children about the dangers of drugs since I was in school and our drug problem gets worse every year. While we must continue the educational efforts we have to think outside the box. We must get a handle on drug abuse or face the reality of widespread and growing drug disabilities and the related social impact.

Then what causes the issue? unemployment, race color?  OR just bad parents? To me it starts somewhere so  it's a matter of finding that point.

Disclaimer: When I say bad parents I do not mean in the past as the subject is more or less how to solve the problem today. 

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Part of the problem is that people are not as good at risk assessment as they think they are, and the research seems to confirm this. Many people seem to think that they are the exception to the law of averages, and they can beat odds when dealing with drugs, gambling, STDs, on-line dating, etc.  Many of the things they fear most are long odds and low risk (e.g., airplane crashes, getting killed by a terrorist) while many other threats that are far more likely to occur to them are higher than they think (e.g., non-use of a seat belt or helmet on a motorcycle.) There are books written on this subject if you are at all interested.

• Like 3