Metal detecting in and around the Cebu area

Jimmyzr1
Posted
Posted

Well I enjoyed my hobby of metal detecting back in the US to look for coins and jewelry. I hope to make some expat friends that would be interested in taking up the hobby as well, in and around the Cebu area. Touristy areas would probably be best. Attached are some of my finds made back in the US.

20160208_213018.jpg

IMG_0939.JPG

IMG_2688.jpg

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I would expect that a foreigner with a metal detector on a touristy beach will attract a large following of locals.

Jimmyzr1
Posted
Posted

Yes, I wondered about that as well. I knew a foreigner about 9 years ago used to do it here in the Philippines and had pretty good luck finding jewelry in tourist locations, but he died after a kidney failure. I was in the US at the time but seen some of his finds when I was married before to a Filipina. That’s the other reason I want to find friends to go metal detecting with as there is strength in numbers. My girlfriend is also interested in doing it as well.

Jimmyzr1
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I would expect that a foreigner with a metal detector on a touristy beach will attract a large following of locals.

Also, after showing them all you find is some trash and peso coins all of them leave quickly.

roddavis
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I can attest to that. I have a Whites MXT and GMT detectors. MXT is for coins and jewelry and such, while the GMT is for gold nugget shooting. I have just been to a couple areas here locally. When I take the MXT out locally, the kids start following. I select a couple on the way to assist in the digging. What  I find are alot of coins. These I check and if not rare, I give back to the kids. Sure makes for for a fun afternoon. I've only gone out a couple times since I've been here for the last 4  years.  Would be nice to have some one else along!

There is gold in the hills here since they do some mining there. So would like to check some of the river beds. Also many parks around here in Cebu, from Magellan landing in Mactan. to early Spanish settlements in the area. Would have to check on the laws for the checking though. On the western side of Cebu where I live, the beaches are pretty rocky, so not to good to detect, but the are some sandy areas that would be better.:56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

• Like 1

Jimmyzr1
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, roddavis said:

I can attest to that. I have a Whites MXT and GMT detectors. MXT is for coins and jewelry and such, while the GMT is for gold nugget shooting. I have just been to a couple areas here locally. When I take the MXT out locally, the kids start following. I select a couple on the way to assist in the digging. What  I find are alot of coins. These I check and if not rare, I give back to the kids. Sure makes for for a fun afternoon. I've only gone out a couple times since I've been here for the last 4  years.  Would be nice to have some one else along!

There is gold in the hills here since they do some mining there. So would like to check some of the river beds. Also many parks around here in Cebu, from Magellan landing in Mactan. to early Spanish settlements in the area. Would have to check on the laws for the checking though. On the western side of Cebu where I live, the beaches are pretty rocky, so not to good to detect, but the are some sandy areas that would be better.:56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

I have 2 PI machines (a White’s Tdi SL and a Tdi Beach Hunter) and a Minelab Equinox 800 that I brought. I won’t be available to go out until probably May or after though as we are staying in Malolos now and will start looking for a place in Cebu later this month to move in April or after when the school year is over.

Are there any good subdivisions to live in your area nearby?