Repatriation:  Yes, you can go home again!

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

I’ve been back in the USA for three weeks now, after spending four years of non-stop life as an Expat in the Philippines.  I’m still waiting for my Filipina wife to get here on Valentines Day and I’ve been busy with so many things, such as getting an apartment, car, new bank, furniture, etc.

At the risk of saying negative things about the Philippines, I have to say that don’t miss getting the occasional ‘Stink Eye’ and the sarcastic ‘Hey Joe’s.’ I also don’t miss the acrid smell of burning basura, the thick black smoke emanating from jeepneys, the 2 hour drives to only go 2 km, mangy looking rabid dogs, the ubiquitous basura, loud videoke, paying the long-nose/kano tax, and so many other things that I almost became accustomed to when I was in the Philippines.

Right now, I’m enjoying driving at the 65-70 mph speed limits on the many roads in San Antonio, getting 200 (plus) MBPS speeds on the Internet, real first class customer service and last (but not least) the ability to buy American foods that are actually made in the USA (and not in China).  Oh, and eating real thick and juicy steaks that are not all fat and grizzle.

Another thing that I liked was getting license plates for new car in less than 10 days, instead of the never ending wait that I had in the Philippines,

As others have said, leaving the Philippines is a lot more expensive than moving to the Philippines. Luckily, my one of my OFW brother-in-laws has helped me out with a loan for some of the expenses.

I’d be interested in hearing from others that have repatriated back to their homelands.

Oh, one more thing:  I won’t be needing this book anymore… hahaha

dummies.JPG

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, roddavis said:

learn to live a different life. Thats the name of the game!

OH Yes!:58::wink:

• Like 4

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted

I find this subject very interesting and want to read more opinions. I’m amazed at the difference between those who like and those who don’t. The longest stay for me is 4 months. Even though I’ve done this for more than 10 years I’m not able to give an opinion, but I certainly want to read what those with boots on the ground have to say.

• Like 2

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Jake said:

I am glad that you have survived your ordeal about living in PI.  Just like being in the military, it's not for everyone.  Now that you're back in Texas, I hope you realize that your Filipina wife will eventually get homesick.  Additionally, your wife and family may be exposed to the "stink eyes" coming from your neighbors and sometimes from your own Texas family.  

It's better to talk about it beforehand and how to deal with it, as you walk hand in hand out in public.  

Respectfully Jake   

Hi Jake, I'm also gald that I survived the Philippiness.  I went to a new doctor in Texas last week and suprisingly I learned that he's a Filipino (small world isn't it?).  Much to my surprise, all of my blood work, as well as my urine and stool test, came back with great results.  So, I actually survived my time in the Philippines without any negative effects on my health. ha ha

I should point out that San Antonio has a very sizeable Filipino and Fil-Am community with many Filipino restaurants, groceries, clubs, and organizations.  Many other Westerner types are married to Filipinos and Filipinas, plus there are many blended families of other racial groups. 

For the most part, the mult-racial population over here doesn't give any second looks to mult-racial (blended) families because it is more common than not over here, as compared to other parts of the USA.  I've discussed the possibility of getting the occasional 'Stink Eye' with my wife and she said that she will ignore it because she has no use for negative people.

Plus, for what it's worth, I've subscribed to the Filipino Channel (TFC) for her to watch and I also have an unlimited International VOIP phone plan for her to make phone calls back home to people including her mom (Inang) who doesn't utilize FB or Messenger.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1