Repatriation:  Yes, you can go home again!

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

Good Point Jack!  My wife and I have discussed this type of situation at great length.  

For what it's worth, my wife and I have already had this type of situation raise its ugly head while I was still in the Phils, and my wife finally said NO to her sister's never ending requests for loaning her (my) money... you know the type of loans that never get repaid?  Based on how my wife handled her family's needs in the past, I don't really see any problems coming up with money for family in the Phils.

Let me add that if any of my family in the Phils ever has a genuine need to get funds for medical help, my wife and I will do whatever we can realistically do to help, without depriving our children and ourselves of our basic needs.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

if

Let's hope it is not when too often :wink: :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Whilst our situations are no doubt different, you certainly share the same philosophy as I when it comes to comparing the UK with the Philippines.  I genuinely doubt that the UK offers so many opportunities that are not available here in the Philippines - simply put, my income level here puts me at an advantage over many whilst in the UK (given my probable unemployability in my profession which I left 15 years ago) puts me at a disadvantage over many.  So, I choose to roll with the punches here as it simply doesn't make economic sense to move back to the UK.  And that;s not even taking into account how my wife, son and I would adapt to a country which bears no resemblance to the one I left 25 years ago.  

I was slightly disappointed to read a comment in one of the posts saying that the place offers no opportunity for kids other than becoming an OFW - that is simply not true.  Yes, many choose the OFW route because they see it as an opportunity to move to lands of milk and honey and undoubtedly they can earn much higher salaries (but at what price?) than here - but I'm a fervent believer in the philosophy that salaries follow living costs - I earned 6x more in Hong Kong for the same work I do here BUT, I paid more than 6x more for a beer, more than 7x more for my TINY apartment and so on and so on.  Let's be fair guys, compare apples with apples rather than oranges.

I’m happy to see that others think the same as I. This will be by far the biggest change ever in our lives and of course I have concerns. Thanks to you and sonjack for sharing your thinking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

@Mark Berkowitz

I am not sure Mark will like this but I must say it as it came from the mouth of a true Blue Filipina ( My HTMBO) we sat on the Terrace on Sunday Afternoon and this topic came up. So my wife said to me Yeah well, can you remember Alan ( a friend that did as mark wishes) Yep I said , so I hope, that your Friend ( Mark) realises that this could cost him in Money and Stress as it did Alan. Remind me I said, Well not too long after they moved to the UK, the wife Lilybeth ( Elizabeth) started to get request for help and subsistence from them now they had left, then came the illness thing, Hospital Bills and the rest of it. Not going to make this long as i think we all know how these things are looked on by the family. Not going to say it will but I all fairness I can't say it won't, we have members here that have had this and it causes rifts, Rifts? yes rifts because the Emotional culture of the Wifes family can bring about disaster, Arguments start, One particular member I recall had enough and said NO but the wife decided to send behind the husbands back. Bad but it happens ( we have a Sister in law that does it)

I just hope that Mark has added this sort of thing into  the mix because it happens,   "Blood being thicker than water" Springs to mind.

Negative ? Oh  no, thoughts conveyed here are brought from a very level  headed Wife who has sooo many friends in this situation. There was a Story only last week about a couple that came on Holiday from Canada with their 2 children, on the Flight over she announced she had had enough of Canada and the Fact that the family were overbearing on Demands so she was not going back but staying with the family that she missed so Much. Sorry Mark But.......................... did you consider this sort of thing just might happen? Cos it does

No one likes posts like this but :unsure:

Amen to all you have said.

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

I have made this decision based on many factors one of them being the way society as a whole seems to be heading in the UK

in the UK they would struggle on the pension I would receive there and I suspect would live in near poverty.

You also need a different type of streetsmart over in the UK and my wife and daughter are too trusting for that.

I will stay here and make a nice life for them.

It is changing so quick the England we once new, or could it be we are getting older ‘ and sounding just like my dad’.

Having child later on in life must put a strain on your thoughts, what will be best for them , I am so glad I don’t have those things to sort out.

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, nor cal mike said:

Interesting that you think life will be better for your children in the PI.

I think that life for my son for now is much better than what he could have in the US. A private school where he actually is learning something. No gangs, Taekwondo brown belt. And the life experience he will have under his belt if he decides to go to the US. or anywhere else will work to his advantage. IMHO.:smile: 

• Like 3