Repatriation:  Yes, you can go home again!

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Balisidar said:

I think this topic has gone completely off the rails, as sometimes many of these do.

Lock the thread maybe?

I used to think that but people are discussing the pros and cons of repatriation.I say let it go on.

• Like 1

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

I have a friend here who used be to a UNI lecturer in the US he has told me that some kids go to school and Uni and disrupt the class making it more difficult to teach the others.Also I see a large number of very young( or at least read about) children not knowing their genders and it has been said they are being encouraged by the teachers to re- classify themselves.

Yes Kevin, I referred to this type of educational fraud earlier. In so many instances teachers are pushing a political agenda in the US. 

• Like 2

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Balisidar said:

I think this topic has gone completely off the rails, as sometimes many of these do.

Lock the thread maybe?

Seems to me to be getting a lot of discussion which is directly related to repatriation. Why lock?

1 hour ago, Balisidar said:

Lock the thread maybe?

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

Personally I'll probably move back when I have kids. Some things really shouldn't be up for debate:
Schools and Universities are better in the UK/US
Job opportunities are better in the UK/US

Everything is up for debate surely? 

Not all schools and universities in the UK/US are better than all schools and universities in the Philippines, are they? From my own personal experience, my son's school here is better then mine was in the UK - maybe he is exceptionally lucky and I was exceptionally unlucky but I'm dubious.  As ex-pats here we are generally able to procure better than the average Filipino so, again, let's compare apples with apples.

Job opportunities in general are most certainly better in the UK/US, but again that doesn't mean to say there are none here - take a look around, there are banks, shops, industries etc etc etc that are employing people here.  Low salary, yes - but low cost of living also. 

It's really not as black and white as is painted IMHO - I stand by my belief that as an ex-pat in the Philippines with a relatively reasonable income/wealth my son will have a better life than as an average Joe back in the UK.  We are all different and do what we think is best for ourselves and our families and best of luck whichever choice we make.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Has anyone thought how the family will cope when we are not arround?  I'm sure many go home for health reasons and many have younger wives. Without trying to put the cat amongst the pigeons what country would your wife or kids be best in when we are not arround? 

This is way more important in my thinking process than my child's education as I believe he can do OK regardless of where we are.

I think it's fair to say that most of the wives have limited personal wealth and are dependant on their husbands.  Do the husbands have enough personal wealth to ensure their often much younger wives can get by in the extremely expensive countries they find themselves in  after the husband has passed on.  I was disturbed to discover my wife will get nothing from the UK government by way of state pension due to the age difference between us.  

And, would our wives wish to remain in a strange country without us?  

Food for thought?

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

That is one factor I am considering in my pros and cons analysis.  There are some cities in the U.S. that have a decent Filipino population, and those cities might make it easier for the wife to adjust when moving, and fit in better after I'm gone.

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I was disturbed to discover my wife will get nothing from the UK government by way of state pension due to the age difference between us.

Really?  Surely if the only factor they’re deciding upon is age then that has to be age based discrimination?

In Australia that would be against the law.  There is a time before benefits apply (5 years maybe?  Not sure).

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

This is way more important in my thinking process than my child's education as I believe he can do OK regardless of where we are.

I think it's fair to say that most of the wives have limited personal wealth and are dependant on their husbands.  Do the husbands have enough personal wealth to ensure their often much younger wives can get by in the extremely expensive countries they find themselves in  after the husband has passed on.  I was disturbed to discover my wife will get nothing from the UK government by way of state pension due to the age difference between us.  

Food for thought?

Save save save. That’s the only way in the UK.

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted

So many things to think about in the future, but I bet none was thought about when we all met our partners in the early days.

• Like 3