Repatriation:  Yes, you can go home again!

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I have been in the PIs 6 years and am quite happy...but... if I had kids, I would take them to the US to raise them. The schools here are atrocious, and the job opportunities are worse.  A third world country is ok for my retirement but a hell of a place to raise a kid.  Good thing for me that will not be an issue (pun intended).  I cannot have any more kids, thank science. :tiphat: 

I have to disagree a little with your evaluation of the education system, from my own personal experience with my son the school is not atrocious.  Most expats, I think,  send their kids to international/private schools where the standard MAY be higher than in the public system and perhaps even when compared to public schools in the US/UK.  Just my own observation though. Job opportunities - varies hugely depending on location but I'll agree the US/UK are probably better in this respect.

It's really not a hell of a place to bring up a kid! 

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

Yes we are bitching at the moment about our niece needing 5k for her graduation from her private school.

Yes, the private schools we use come up with a lot of activities that we have to pay extra for, and of course in some cases we are paying for the teachers and administrators to eat for free, etc.  Like yesterday, my 4 year old attended an outside event at a bakery / cafe.  It was fun and they got to learn what the chefs do and make a few baked goods themselves.  It is a high end place run by a foreigner.  Cost was 300 per kid and 400 per adult, including a snack lunch sandwich.

Last week we paid 1700 for my 14 year olds prom.  And I think the dress rental will more than that.  Not much compared to the U.S. where that type of thing is out of control!

• Like 3

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

If I went back to the UK I would have to retrain in my job and buy lots of equipment and transport before I could start work.That alone would cost around 10k UK.I can live on that for 2 years here and still have a decent life.The building work here will be finished soon and then my wife and daughter will be set up for life without any worries.What can I offer them in the UK ,well maybe a pittance from the Government when I pass,if I could work as a gas engineer again then maybe half of what they can potentially have here.

Then you have to think of all the crap going on in the UK killings robberies stabbings how much it actually costs to live there.Lets be fair I could not afford to go out for a meal and a couple of beers 1-2 times a week like I do here.We certainly would not own the amount of property over there that we do here,we would probably would have to rent a house at maybe 1k uk per month.I cannot see any reason to take them back to somewhere I would be unhappy in and therefore they would also be unhappy.

Why be a little fish in a big pond when you can be a big fish in a little pond.

So Sonjack,gas engineers are like rocking horse poo at the moment ,they are getting the best rates by far amongst the trades 

I just cant see how anyone can live on a gov pension here , a man has to earn 40k just to get by , rent can take 30 to 50% of your salary , a cheap meal out does not happen , a big mac costs about 500 pesos and a meal for two at a pub lol 

And then there's the cold and the damp, have you forgotten the pleasure of having to scrape ice off of your vehicle at 6.30 am ? Time for you to return and enjoy :whistling:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

I have to disagree a little with your evaluation of the education system, from my own personal experience with my son the school is not atrocious.  Most expats, I think,  send their kids to international/private schools where the standard MAY be higher than in the public system and perhaps even when compared to public schools in the US/UK.  Just my own observation though. Job opportunities - varies hugely depending on location but I'll agree the US/UK are probably better in this respect.

It's really not a hell of a place to bring up a kid! 

We are ok with our current private schools.  However, in general, most schools, public and private, teach by memorization and there is very little critical thinking taught.  At the higher end, very expensive schools, like Brent here in Subic, they do teach to Int'l standards.  I can't afford them though.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

So Sonjack,gas engineers are like rocking horse poo at the moment ,they are getting the best rates by far amongst the trades 

I had a really good serving of Denison's Chili with beans yesterday.  Am I qualified as a gas engineer? My wife thinks so!  :Caught:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
Just now, OnMyWay said:

I had a really good serving of Denison's Chili with beans yesterday.  Am I qualified as a gas engineer? My wife thinks so!  :Caught:

You big wind bag you :mocking:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm down to my last 2 cans of Hormel Chili with beans. Time for a trip back to S&R. Happy flatulence to you!:tongue:

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I'll probably start a new thread when I am ready with something I am working on related to this topic, and can share it.  I seriously need to weigh the pros and cons of moving back to the U.S., because of my kids.  My wife and I have discussed it before and decided not to pursue it, but I need to put more time into it to make sure it is not a viable option for us.  We are considering investing in another property here and before making that decision, we need to give the move back another look.

My curiosity was peaked by Mark's post here and I thank him for sharing, and it has opened up a great discussion.

Something strange happened today.  Last night, I was researching cities in the U.S. for Best Cities to Live, Lowest Crime Cities, Best Cities to Retire, Lowest Cost Cities, etc.  I have some family in Las Vegas and that popped up on a few of the lists, unfortunately, it was not very good on the crime list.

I had thought about Vegas a little bit but don't think I could live there.  Climate, scumbags, etc.  So this morning, my nephew, who lives in Vegas, posted this on FB:

"So today while I was out, my neighbor broke into my house. My other neighbor shot him, twice. Just another day in the wild Wild West!".

It actually was the neighbor's son who tried to break in to my nephew's place, breaking a window.  Another neighbor heard the noise, and called 911.  Then the other neighbor confronted the burglar, who then attacked with a knife.  The other neighbor shot him twice, non-lethally.  I guess the guy was a good shot and just winged him a bit!  My nephew say the neighbors are good folks, but their son is an addict.

For me, it was just a reminder that not all is rosy at home and you have to be careful all over the world.  As some mentioned, our home countries have often changed for the worse.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Time for you to return and enjoy 

Think I`ll take a snowcheck on that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

Think I`ll take a snowcheck on that.

That’s like a rain check... but the bank froze your account right ;-)

• Like 1