Repatriation:  Yes, you can go home again!

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:
37 minutes ago, nor cal mike said:

I too see way to much politics and political persuasions in the schools here and very little real education.

When you say here, are you meaning the US or Philippines or Mars?

Within context I am pretty sure nor cal mike is referring to education in the US.

Edited by earthdome
Fix quoting.
  • Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:
1 hour ago, earthdome said:

Do you support the 2nd amendment to keep and bear arms (guns)... well, your children will be taught to fear guns rather than gun safety.

Please dont go down that road in this topic or any. Just causes arguments. 

Understood. That was just an easy example for me to make about schools becoming politicized since a coworker of mine told me about his experience.

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks, I’ll try to be more precise in the future.

Edited by nor cal mike
Typo

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, nor cal mike said:

I don’t think I can agree that education should not be up for debate. An important part of the “moving decision” has to do with education. For me this discussion has been and continues to be very informative. I think as others have said the quality of the schools vary greatly depending on location and affordability, but for the moment I want to shed a different light on schools in the US.

Since US schools are used to compare I would like to raise a couple of points. In the US we are currently using a system called “common core” which is not real popular with many parents. However the problem I see here is the amount of political reference brought into the classroom. What I see taking place is indoctrination instead of education. If you look at our institutions of higher learning you see ongoing civil unrest and political violence. Crime in our colleges has reached a point where it is now one of the considerations of parents when selecting a school. Statistics show that education in the k-12 grades is on the decline. Many colleges have lowered their requirements for admission because high school graduates are not college ready. As a consequence many of the bright young people working in the US are immigrants who were educated in “third world countries”. We simply are not educating enough students to fill the jobs available.

While I can’t speak of other countries and yes I am sad to say it but I think we can no longer assume that because it’s  “American made” it is automatically better.

I think there's just as much political violence here, the NPA try to recruit a lot of students according to the government so I expect there's just as much slightly less extreme left wing shti here.

Statistics might show that education is on the decline in the US but they also show it's a million miles better than in the Philippines. Even if you do manage to get a really good education here then what exactly are you going to do here? Manage 100 staff in a call center, lawyer, doctor, they're lucky to get 50k pesos per month after tax. You're better off (financially) working on a building site in the US.

Edited by fillipino_wannabe
  • Like 2

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted (edited)

Since we have no agreements on where our children can get the best education, maybe (and that's just a maybe) we can agree that our children will have many more career and other opportunities in our home countries. 

Edited by Mark Berkowitz
  • Like 5

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

Statistics might show that education is on the decline in the US but they also show it's a million miles better than in the Philippines. Even if you do manage to get a really good education here then what exactly are you going to do here? Manage 100 staff in a call center, lawyer, doctor, they're lucky to get 50k pesos per month after tax. You're better off (financially) working on a building site in the US.

Seems like we were both saying similar things are the very same time. 

13 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Since we have no agreements on where our children can get the best education, maybe (and that's just a maybe) we can agree that our children will have many more career and other opportunities in our home countries. 

• Like 1

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Mark, while we have no agreement, thanks to you we are certainly having a healthy discussion on a very important issue. Like others have said there is no one fits all answer. I doubt that many will change their thinking but we certainly have served up plenty of food for thought. Thanks to all who have participated especially those who think differently than I. Many lessons to be learned from those with differing views.

• Like 4

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

I think there's just as much political violence here, the NPA try to recruit a lot of students according to the government so I expect there's just as much slightly less extreme left wing shti here.

I’m not sure that it’s a million miles better in the US. Yes, maybe when You and I attended school but I don’t think so any more. 

As far as opportunities after graduation are concerned children of expats have the opportunity to work in the expats home country. As I said before a great number of  jobs in the US are being taken by immigrants or remaining infilled. The reason is that the US education system is not sufficiently educating our children to fill these jobs.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, nor cal mike said:

I’m not sure that it’s a million miles better in the US. Yes, maybe when You and I attended school but I don’t think so any more. 

I have a friend here who used be to a UNI lecturer in the US he has told me that some kids go to school and Uni and disrupt the class making it more difficult to teach the others.Also I see a large number of very young( or at least read about) children not knowing their genders and it has been said they are being encouraged by the teachers to re- classify themselves.

• Like 2

Balisidar
Posted
Posted

I think this topic has gone completely off the rails, as sometimes many of these do.

Lock the thread maybe?