Repatriation:  Yes, you can go home again!

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

You mean here in the PIs?  My wife looked into and you have to have a job to pay in - that is what the website, and the clerk said anyway.

You might want to recheck that information. My wife has paid every  year. I believe she pays as self employed.

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, nor cal mike said:

You might want to recheck that information. My wife has paid every  year. I believe she pays as self employed.

This is true. Same here. She has also ratcheted it up in accordance to the regs. to make it a bit more economically meaningful in her old age. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, nor cal mike said:

Yes, same here, but my wife started paying while she was employed and then converted to "self employed".  It may be true what Sonjack said, that if you never paid in, you can't just start.  However, there are many self employed people who probably never had regular payroll jobs.  Surely they have provisions for them????

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, hk blues said:

Talking only the UK situation, there is no mechanism to "buy" welfare benefits for a spouse who has not lived in the UK

Save , save and then save some more for your love ones ,that’s the only way.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, same here, but my wife started paying while she was employed and then converted to "self employed".  It may be true what Sonjack said, that if you never paid in, you can't just start.  However, there are many self employed people who probably never had regular payroll jobs.  Surely they have provisions for them????

Without muddying the waters but worth throwing into the mix as general info  -  the UK system doesn't allow anyone regardless of nationality to start paying into our SS system if they hadn't paid into the system previously.  Even for UK citizens, if they didn't pay into the UK system during the 3 years prior to leaving the UK, they cannot then pay in in the future.  If they can pay in , there are two rates - one for those in employment/self-employed and a higher rate for those not in employment/self-employed.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

Although that may work in the west, it could spell disaster here with the family bleeding them dry. I have seen this many times and the westerner was still here, just think how much more pressure could be added when you are gone.

So true, but if it’s the only thing you can give your partner once you have gone, it’s better then nothing at all.

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
On 2/14/2019 at 10:43 AM, Kuya John said:

They say only the good die young,

When my late wife died at the age of 42, her pension rights left too, she had worked and paid taxes since the age of 15 years!

As for benefits or Government handout's, as her Widower with a child of 9 years old, all I was offered was Free Milk!

Am I worried about the Government paying my now wife anything, you can bet your life I'm not.

They are happy to pay benefit's to people who have no intention of ever working and sit on their fat butts complaining!

Sorry for the outburst but the biggest tax avoiders are the ones who do very little,  I'm still paying taxes at 70+.

rant over JB

You have my full empathy on that one

Theres a guy I know from school , he sits on his butt and spends most of the day ranting about his left wing views and how small his disability payments are

The same guy is a convicted armed robber , thief, drug dealer and ex doorman , I'd be surprised if he paid a hundred pounds in tax during his life 

Oh yes he remembered his home land after the stroke he had , where he could screw the system even more 

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted (edited)

My wife will have worked in the UK for 23 years when we relocate to the Philippines in September. We can buy a further 8 years until her statuary retirement date so she will be short of the 35 years for a full UK state pension. She has about 9 years of a final salary pension and about 25 years of SSS. We may be able to top up the UK state pension with herr SSS via the reciprical arrangement, need to look into the details. All in all she should be seeing about 40k a month in her own right once she reaches 67.

The problem in the Philippines is that they often don't see a future so why save for it.

Edited by Gary D
  • Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Gary D said:

The problem in the Philippines is that they often don't see a future so why save for it.

In my eyes I see this, all I get from Emma is I may go before you whats the point.

• Like 1