Repatriation:  Yes, you can go home again!

CoffeeRulzMe
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, nor cal mike said:

Just do a youtube search on SJW's you'll find plenty of examples.

Edited by CoffeeRulzMe

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, davewe said:

There has to be at least 100 reasons that a Westerner might be driven crazy in the Philippines and want to eventually repatriate. But the breaking point for the OP cracked me up. I can't recall getting any stink eye in the Philippines; in all likelihood I am too old to notice. The closest I have gotten is a few scumbag expats who leer at my wife. I will say that there are plenty of expats here whose behaviour is such that they might deserve a little stink eye, but again I rarely see it. Most people here are very friendly to me; whether there true attitude or a faked attitude I really don't care.

But in the US? Stink eye galore. When the OP said something to the effect that because Americans are used to mixed marriages, we're not judgmental, I almost fell to the floor laughing. I've been married 3 times (not bragging, it's just reality) and none of the wives were white. I've seen and heard lots of nastiness. Now I will say that most people try hard but if you hang around them often enough you see the real attitude. I remember my manager (a good guy who liked my work) humorously (he thought) refer to me as Woody Allen, I assume because I had married a younger Asian woman, not because of pedophilia. My African American ex-wife was fired from her Afro-centric job because she had married a white guy; they didn't even try to hide the fact that that was why she was fired.

Janet can tell you a dozen funny stories about attitudes of egalitarian Americans. Maybe a blog piece on the topic would be good.

All this said, I wish the OP well in his repatriation. Enjoy what the US has to offer. But expect to see some stink eye and get some nasty comments.

Maybe I am not understanding, but I thought the main reason for "stink eye" would be the age gap, not race.  Especially in the U.S..

• Like 2

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, davewe said:

But the breaking point for the OP cracked me up. I can't recall getting any stink eye in the Philippines; in all likelihood I am too old to notice.

I never said that there was any breaking point to make me leave the Phils.  I merely mentioned that I did not (and would not ever) miss getting the 'stink eye,' as well as all of the other aspects of being a foreigner in the Phils. 

I could of been happy to roll with all of the punches in the Phils... but the true reason for me leaving the the Phils and returning to the USA is for the betterment of my family, which includes my 2 year old son, who has no real future in the Phils (unless he wants to grow up to be an OFW).

With all of that being said, thank you for your good wishes.

• Like 3

Clermont
Posted
Posted

I'll explain a little more on my post as the topic keeps creeping into posts, age gap. I believe this has got a lot to do with why expats can't accept the culture and brand the PI's as they do. It is the expats upbringing, an being able to accept that older men date younger women in Asian countries more so than in their own countries. Then all the little things start adding up, it's not the service, nor the traffic problems, of course they contribute but in the end the PI's are branded as a sex haven with no morals.

This time over I was going through a bit of drama about an older man grooming a younger Filipino lass that was staying at our house. I was furious but you know what, all it did was make me sick and buggard up my six weeks holidays. Another thing, it is in their culture, sex is not a nasty word to them, it is how a lot of them live, their is no love in it for them, just a means of supporting themselves. I was given a lot of advise, and each person said it was none of my business, and you know what, it wasn't.

Now I've gotten over the culture shock and thought back on the advice I was given, when I see an older man with a very young women, I just smile and think to myself, what number are you this year.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Thought for the day on this

You can take the Lady ( and child in this case) out of the Philippines BUT you will never take the Philippines out of the Lady :smile:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

davewe
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Maybe I am not understanding, but I thought the main reason for "stink eye" would be the age gap, not race.  Especially in the U.S..

In my experience it's both.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, davewe said:

In my experience it's both.

The mixed race part might be more evident in some areas of the country.  In California where I am from, Asian / Caucasian relationships don't get a second glance in most major cities.

• Like 3

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

The mixed race part might be more evident in some areas of the country.  In California where I am from, Asian / Caucasian relationships don't get a second glance in most major cities.

From what I've already seen, it's the very same way in San Antonio, Texas.

Jake
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Clermont said:

Now I've gotten over the culture shock and thought back on the advice I was given, when I see an older man with a very young women, I just smile and think to myself, what number are you this year.

Triple LIKE Clermont!  

• Like 1