No extension sticker

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Clermont said:

no extension requirements,

What do you mean? Nothing has changed except no stickers for some reason. 

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I wonder if these stickers are made by the same company that makes the stickers for license plates (sorry sir no stock), and motorcycle helmets (sorry sir no stock). :hystery:

• Haha 1

DavidK
Posted
Posted

As JGF states there have been no stickers for visa extensions for months. Previously when extending the sprog's visa he was advised "We've  been told not to order them". Why or what on earth that's about I've no idea but we just put it down to being in the Philippines (like so much else).

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I went out through immigration yesterday and I'm in Australia right now.

The immigration staffer wanted to see the receipt, then she looked at her computer for a bit, then she over stamped my original stamp with my exit date.  So my passport only shows my arrival and exit dates (which are more than 30 days apart and of course no extension sticker this time).

I will keep my receipt for my next entry because I suspect I might be asked to show my receipt again upon entry.

virginprune
Posted
Posted
On 2/13/2019 at 5:19 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

There have been no stickers for months on any extension no matter what length.

I got a sticker last extension, around 6 weeks ago. Going again in a fortnight so see what happens then.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, virginprune said:

I got a sticker last extension, around 6 weeks ago. Going again in a fortnight so see what happens then.

Might depend on what office you go to

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted
On 2/20/2019 at 8:08 AM, GeoffH said:

I went out through immigration yesterday and I'm in Australia right now.

The immigration staffer wanted to see the receipt, then she looked at her computer for a bit, then she over stamped my original stamp with my exit date.  So my passport only shows my arrival and exit dates (which are more than 30 days apart and of course no extension sticker this time).

I will keep my receipt for my next entry because I suspect I might be asked to show my receipt again upon entry.

Good idea to keep the receipts, I have to leave soon so keep us up to date and your return experience would be interested if you have any problems on re entry.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, frosty (chris) said:

Good idea to keep the receipts, I have to leave soon so keep us up to date and your return experience would be interested if you have any problems on re entry.

Most times I'm only in Australia for a few weeks but this trip I'll be here longer because I have to sell one of my houses.

That means removing furniture, doing some minor repairs and a lot of cleaning before I can list the property (and it might take a while to sell in the current market).  Victorian tax laws (altered a while back, previously it was enough to be a citizen) now require me to stay in Australia at 6 months per year or I cease to be regarded as a resident of Australia for land tax calculations and lose the tax free threshold for the land tax , to avoid that I've been splitting my time between the Philippines and Australia.  Queensland was first with this type of tax change but NSW and Victoria have followed, I think South Australia and Tasmania have not (don't know about Western Australia or the territories).  I believe that a 'family home' is exempt (but my 2nd house is an investment property) and I've read that 'family home' requires a family member resident in it (not 100% sure about this section, I'm going to seek further tax advice soon).

Hence... one house for sale (I've got another one in Bendigo but one problem at a time).

So... long story... but the point is I don't think I'll be back for at least 3 months and possibly longer depending upon how the house sale goes and I wouldn't be surprised if we all know the answer to the 'what happens when we come back with a more than 30 day stamp' before then.

My suspicion is that the receipt should be enough... but if they've got stickers again by then who knows *shrug*.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Hmm thinking 2

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

My suspicion is that the receipt should be enough... but if they've got stickers again by then who knows *shrug*.

I was only going for a short o/seas trip, probably before you get back, who knows what will happen, I need a visa renewal before then, probably have stickers again next time.

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
On 2/14/2019 at 4:11 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

Exactly what I said, was there for six weeks, only a standard stamp when entering, and a standard stamp when leaving, nothing else. :cheersty: