Who holds the purse strings

stevewool
Posted
Posted

If you are a couple who holds the purse strings, now being here in England I hold all the purse strings for all the main accounts but Emma does have all the passwords and details for the just in case happens and I don’t mean divorce.

Emma has her own bank and cash and she is good with money and just like others she does run out at the end of some months, but what will happen if the Philippines is to be our permanent home.

I will still be in charge of all the accounts but we will both have a income From the savings for those little bits and bobs plus Emma will have so much for our monthly living .

Its not a case I don’t trust her with finances but she does lack seeing the future, but is that most fillipinos, how do you sort this out between yourselves.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Its not a case I don’t trust her with finances but she does lack seeing the future, but is that most fillipinos, Laugh icon.jpg You don't here Steve, Just give her an ATM card and let who do the Wheeling and Dealingyou know it makes sense 1.jpg:whistling:

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, stevewool said:

how do you sort this out

OH Bother see previous Posts i am having one of those days  embarrased  man.jpg

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I have Australian assets and income, I look after that.  SWMBO owns a taxi (pays a driver to drive it) and has a small business, she looks after the money from those.  We discuss large purchases together.

I’ve said this before but I honestly think she is better at budgeting than I am.  I have been very lucky to find a partner who does plan for the long term, although she does get a bit sad/frustrated at times when she talks about how some of her family “don’t understand - they think we have money and are lying when we say we can not afford that”.  But we always discuss together how much, who and when we help.

Summary... each of us is holding one end of the purse ;-)

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Summary... each of us is holding one end of the purse ;-)

That just  about sums up our situation, I do all the bill paying, the wife does the grocery paying and what money is left from her savings it is hers to spend as she see's fit. In the PI's, I take her advice when purchasing, but I still have the final say. That part is because it's face saving for my wife, men still have a domency over the house hold budget in the PI's. :thumbsup:

TimL
Posted
Posted

Me. It's my purse, so my strings. hahaha

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

I ran things in the US. I made the income and paid the bills but my wife knew what everything cost. We have always shopped together for groceries and other needs so there has never been any hidden purchases. Here, I obtain the monthly income and Menchu pays the bills with it. We still shop together for everything. We know what each other is ordering online and I will pay the shipper.

it's extremely important that we each know not only how much money we have, but how much money we don't.

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted (edited)

The wife lol, she's got 2 little plastic bags that she keeps in her purse, 1 for the food budget and 1 for our 'personal expenses budget'. Just pay the bills when the guy comes round to collect it.

I'm just in charge of pushing the trolley round Robinsons and carrying the bags at the palengke. I get rewarded with a Mcdonalds or Jollibee if I've been good.

'

Edited by fillipino_wannabe
  • Haha 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I'm engaged.,.  Again...  Lol!  We don't live together but, as she and the little one are here at least every second day, we shop together...  To practice for after we're married, I keep her up-to-date on all the expenses...

Who controls the purse strings..?  That's funny..!  Her friends tell her she should g control my money now...  That I should just hand it to her...  That she didn't like and told them so...  She booted 2 long time friends over this...   We were talking about this and her father overheard...  Dad looked at her and said straight out "you aren't married...  Why should you hold Bob's money..?  That's wrong and I'm glad you stood up to your greedy friends"...  My fiance was so proud of herself..!  

By the way, the friends saying she should control my finances now?  It's more common than you'd think...  One of the reasons my ex-fiance is my ex...

• Like 1