Challenging move ahead

Ninpo2dan
Posted
Posted

To start off, I'm a disabled veteran getting VA disability pay, and I'm currently waiting for my VA claim appeal to finish. When it's complete and my rating is increased, I'll be making plenty of money to retire in the Philippines. I'm also going to be applying for SSDI, which will add a small amount on top of the VA pay. Not to mention, I'm going to get a fairly decent sum in back-pay from the VA.

The thing is, I'm looking at about another year or so before the VA appeal is finally done, and I really don't want to wait another 1-2 years to get the hell out of this place. I'll be meeting with a lawyer at the beginning of next month to file SSDI, since I'm already being treated for service-connected disability at the VA. I'm told it should only take a few months for that to start paying out, at which time I think I can live ok in the Philippines.

So my plan is to get the SSDI, combined with the VA disability I'm already getting, and that combined should be about $2000 a month. I can then move over there, live off of that for now, and just come back to US when I need to do the final medical exams. When the VA appeal is done, and I'm getting paid my full amount, then I can fully settle in.

So when I do first move there, since I don't have a bunch of money saved up, I'm thinking of just getting the regular tourist visa and then extending it as needed until the appeal is done. So that's 30 days at first, then extended up to 3 years?

Once the VA appeal is done and I have my full income and back pay, I'll be getting the SRRV. I'm only 41 right now, so I have to choose one of the options that requires a large bank deposit. But once I turn 50, I qualify for the military courtesy SRRV, which only requires a $1500 deposit. I'm assuming that means first I pay the $20,000 and when I turn 50, I take that money back and reapply for the new one? Does anyone else have experience with those types of visa?

My other concern is that I was told the tourist visa requires proof of hotel reservations or stay? I plan to start renting an apartment/condo/house as soon as I move there, not stay in a hotel. So how would that work? Will I even be allowed to start renting with a tourist visa?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Ninpo2dan said:

My other concern is that I was told the tourist visa requires proof of hotel reservations or stay? I plan to start renting an apartment/condo/house as soon as I move there, not stay in a hotel. So how would that work? Will I even be allowed to start renting with a tourist visa?

No problem with the tourist visa as far as immigration is concerned.  They don't care where you stay.  A landlord might ask questions but money talks, so usually not a problem.

Use caution with putting out $20,000 for a SRRV.  Not too many here do SRRV so I don't recall if anyone has gotten their deposit back or converted to another type.  It is an unusual situation.  You might be better off staying on a tourist visa until you can get the SRRV for vets.

I would agree with Old55 that it would be safer to stay in the U.S. until you get your VA taken care of.

• Like 3

Lou49
Posted
Posted

About the visa......the 30 day entry is not a visa, it is just an entry stamp. They usually don’t ask where you are staying and I have never needed proof of reservation the odd time that I was asked. After 30 days u need to get a visa or a 30-59 day extension.

• Like 2

Ninpo2dan
Posted
Posted

The VA appeal will be approved this time, they messed it up the first time and I got stuck with bad examiners. I'm already being treated for those conditions, so there's medical evidence that they exist and are service-connected. It's just annoying that the claims system is separate from the treatment system, would be a lot smoother if they worked together. As for the SSDI, that is also going to be approved, due to the above.

I'll make sure I have enough in savings to come back here if needed, or in case I need emergency funds there for medical/etc. I don't plan to move until after the SSDI is granted though, and that should be more than enough to live on there. I already know the area I plan to live, at least at first, so I'll get a cheap but not bad apartment for a while. I've had someone who lives near there help me plan a budget, and it shouldn't cost more than p35k a month, which is only about $700. That will leave enough extra each month to throw into savings again.

• Like 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Is it possible that you saw something about the Boracay Island need to show proof of a hotel reservation before being allowed on the island as a tourist?  If so, that only applies to that particular tourist spot, not the entire country.

• Like 1

Ninpo2dan
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

Is it possible that you saw something about the Boracay Island need to show proof of a hotel reservation before being allowed on the island as a tourist?  If so, that only applies to that particular tourist spot, not the entire country.

No, I was reading one of the sites that listed requirements for tourist visa. Mentioned things like need return ticket, etc. The proof of hotel stay was a new one for me, don't remember needing that when I last visited but that was in 2004. Thought maybe the rules had changed, but I am now guessing the information was inaccurate.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Ninpo2dan said:

Mentioned things like need return ticket

You must have an onward ticket out of the Philippines. If not the airline wont board you. 

• Like 1

RubberChicken
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Ninpo2dan said:

The VA appeal will be approved this time, they messed it up the first time and I got stuck with bad examiners. I'm already being treated for those conditions, so there's medical evidence that they exist and are service-connected. It's just annoying that the claims system is separate from the treatment system, would be a lot smoother if they worked together. As for the SSDI, that is also going to be approved, due to the above.

I'll make sure I have enough in savings to come back here if needed, or in case I need emergency funds there for medical/etc. I don't plan to move until after the SSDI is granted though, and that should be more than enough to live on there. I already know the area I plan to live, at least at first, so I'll get a cheap but not bad apartment for a while. I've had someone who lives near there help me plan a budget, and it shouldn't cost more than p35k a month, which is only about $700. That will leave enough extra each month to throw into savings again. bodies pick and choose what evidence they give weight to and what evidence they discount. After a favorable decision that same buracracy has to process your case to get your payments started. Just some thoughts to consider.

Thank you for your service. Their is no guarantee those massive agencies will not further delay you. Their budgets are bigger then the GDP of some entire countries so true bureaucracy there. Their is no absolute certainty until formal approval and then whatever grace period quality control builds in to change a decision. Cold government bodies in place. Not fun. Maybe wait until the money is in? Best wishes of course.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

The landing card asks for an address in the Philippines, you must be staying somewhere after you land so you can that this address. If you are just going to turn up then look for a hotel I would seriously suggest you book a hotel online at least for the first night before you arrive.

• Like 1