How Do You Intend To Provide For Your Wife Or Gf When Your Gone?

johnb
Posted
Posted
I think In my case the question is who will provide for me if my wife dies.everything we have here in the Philippines is in my wifes name, our house and apartments even the bank accounts, we have no assests in the UK. so if I die everything is already in my wifes name, all she need do is find some sucker like me who will work all hours of the day and night to keep the business running, now if my wife dies I cant own anything and inheritance as a widow, comes with a whole bunch of problems. who's looking after me :SugarwareZ-034:
That brings up a good point and I want to expand on it..... What happens if your wife does get sick or even worse is sent into the hospital, how do you pay the bills or the deposit? I thought about this a couple of years ago and discussed it with my wife and the banks we have accounts in the Philippines and they all agreed to allow me to be on the accounts and some even offered me to change everything to just my name and that was out of the question since it would cause a problem for my wife to get money if I were hospitalized..... So John, you brought up a very good point and I suggest you think about that and discuss it with your wife and get your name added to all the accounts and as far as the property, go to a good lawyer with your wife and let her wants be known in writing and I think that will help to stop problems down the road if God forbid something happens to her.
We did try to discuss it once but like "mason" mentioned in his post she wont talk about the possibility of me dying, my wife is approaching 40 and myself at 50, I do not have a pension or benefits from the UK, when I'm 60 I will get a small pension from the Austrian government and at 65 get a full pension from the UK, till then I'm happy to leave things as they are, as for accessing money my sister in law who lived with us for some years is joint signatory on the accounts and can access them. should my wife die before me, I would just up sticks and move on, the family can keep everything in the RP.John
  • Like 1

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
We did try to discuss it once but like "mason" mentioned in his post she wont talk about the possibility of me dying, my wife is approaching 40 and myself at 50, I do not have a pension or benefits from the UK, when I'm 60 I will get a small pension from the Austrian government and at 65 get a full pension from the UK, till then I'm happy to leave things as they are, as for accessing money my sister in law who lived with us for some years is joint signatory on the accounts and can access them. should my wife die before me, I would just up sticks and move on, the family can keep everything in the RP.John
OK, I guess that also answers how you would pay for your wife if she were to become ill..... I think it is important to have everything in both names but especially bank accounts in case something unforeseen was to happen and that is why we put everything we own except my pension or future social security in both names..... My pension stops when I die as would social security if I make it another 8 months to get it, but I did really get worried when I heard of a person whose wife got sick and he did not have the money to pay the deposit on the hospital and she died. I would never want anything to happen to my wife and sometimes time can be of the essence and getting money from the states can take time and getting a large amount from an ATM will require multiple ATM accounts because each one has a limit, so we did that as well.
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I think In my case the question is who will provide for me if my wife dies.everything we have here in the Philippines is in my wifes name, our house and apartments even the bank accounts, we have no assests in the UK. so if I die everything is already in my wifes name, all she need do is find some sucker like me who will work all hours of the day and night to keep the business running, now if my wife dies I cant own anything and inheritance as a widow, comes with a whole bunch of problems. who's looking after me SugarwareZ-034.gif
That brings up a good point and I want to expand on it..... What happens if your wife does get sick or even worse is sent into the hospital, how do you pay the bills or the deposit? I thought about this a couple of years ago and discussed it with my wife and the banks we have accounts in the Philippines and they all agreed to allow me to be on the accounts and some even offered me to change everything to just my name and that was out of the question since it would cause a problem for my wife to get money if I were hospitalized..... So John, you brought up a very good point and I suggest you think about that and discuss it with your wife and get your name added to all the accounts and as far as the property, go to a good lawyer with your wife and let her wants be known in writing and I think that will help to stop problems down the road if God forbid something happens to her.
as for accessing money my sister in law who lived with us for some years is joint signatory on the accounts and can access them. should my wife die before me, I would just up sticks and move on, the family can keep everything in the RP.
Wow thats what I call trusting,I would be worried that one day the sister in-law will clean the accounts out,but thats just me.ohmy.gif
  • Like 1

johnb
Posted
Posted
OK, I guess that also answers how you would pay for your wife if she were to become ill..... I think it is important to have everything in both names but especially bank accounts in case something unforeseen was to happen and that is why we put everything we own except my pension or future social security in both names..... My pension stops when I die as would social security if I make it another 8 months to get it, but I did really get worried when I heard of a person whose wife got sick and he did not have the money to pay the deposit on the hospital and she died. I would never want anything to happen to my wife and sometimes time can be of the essence and getting money from the states can take time and getting a large amount from an ATM will require multiple ATM accounts because each one has a limit, so we did that as well.
Actually Lee, I did forget to mention the Philhealth insurance that we both have [ thanks to "mike S" post, Phil-health]John
  • Like 2

johnb
Posted
Posted (edited)

We have total trust in Her, she's more of a Daughter to us than a sister, earlier this year she helped us out with money as we were going through a bad patch. in fact honesty of Families be them from home countries or PI would make a good thread, I have to say my PI family are great they all live in Cebu city, but don't hassle me nor me them, we'll help them out if we can and they us, cant ask for much more than that.John

Edited by johnb
  • Like 1

Guardian
Posted
Posted
We have total trust in Her, she's more of a Daughter to us than a sister, earlier this year she helped us out with money as we were going through a bad patch. in fact honesty of Families be them from home countries or PI would make a good thread, I have to say my PI family are great they all live in Cebu city, but don't hassle me nor me them, we'll help them out if we can and they us, cant ask for much more than that.John
It is good to read a positive story about Filipino families so that might be a good idea. I would like to read more positive stories about people who are happy with their families.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Well to continue on with this subject, it seems the widow I spoke about has been left in a bind by lack of planning that we all may be guilty of.She now has a home which is not complete and she cannot afford to complete it and some normal monthly bills that she does not have the money to pay because of lack of access to the accounts and not having the proper documents to collect the money. So maybe it might be a good idea for each and every one of us to find out what will be needed by our widows or beneficiaries in the case of our demise and get them as a precautionary measure.In this widows case, her husband was an American and she said she needs the following for the following reasons.First it might be good idea to check with each bank as to what they will want for access by your widow to your accounts because each bank may be different. In the US it is a certified death certificate and I would imagine it would also be the same in the Philippines but we are talking about the Philippines and nothing is a given and things can change from bank to bank, so check for yourselves or make sure all accounts that can be joint, are joint.Next make sure not to over build and to try to have some money left over for your widow to be able to carry what you have until the bureaucracy of the Philippines moves along and I think we all know how slow that could be and it could take her a long time to get a certified copy of your death certificate and especially if she does not have some money to grease the wheels.The VA told this particular widow that she needed a copy of their marriage certificate, a copy of his old divorce papers and a certified copy of the death certificate in order to apply for death benefits. I believe that would mean all originals. Next the life insurance policy also require the death certificate before they would process the claim, so that means needing more than one copy and if it were me, I would tell my wife to get 10 the way I know the Philippines works of always asking for a original with everything a person does. Social Security was the same story and required a marriage certificate and death certificate in order to even get the one time $250 burial expense benefit.I guess each and every one of us will have different things that require different items and we should check ahead of time with each of those places to see what it is going to take to process those transfers or benefits to your widow.None of us likes talking about these things and Filipinos hate talking about death but death is a reality and we will all die one of these days and if we are much older than our wives, then it might also be likely that we may dies first, so if you cannot get your wife to talk about it and you do not take care of it ahead of time, then your woman will always ask herself why you left her with such a mess. Get your lady to talk about it and if you cannot, then at least make up an envelope for her to open when you are gone or you may be looking down and crying because of the state you left your beloved lady in. All IMHO.

• Like 1

twostrokes
Posted
Posted

I prepaid for a facelift, bust augmentation (with one refill if necessary), a tummy tuck, a brizalian butt lift and said "make it count". After all, she is already well over 50. She can get these as soon as she can after i'm in the ground.i would let her get it now except she might decde to go shopping early. Now if this fails then she will just have to learn to life on what pensions I have left for her. I took the option on my state retirement with reduced payment now in order for her to keep drawing it for her lifetime after I die. I also took survivor benefits on my military retirement with reduced benefits now, in order for her to draw a reduced percentage of my retirement for her lifetime. Hopefully I will last long enough for her to reach an age to be able to draw on my SS...by the time I go...This will give her sufficient income to live either in the PI or remain here in the States. I also made certain before I retired that we were 100% out of debt including the house mortgage. This keeps living expenses within reason.Her biggest problem will be transportation. She no longer drives due to medical issues and we live in the country about 20 miles to the nearest shopping. I can only hope her son who lives about 20 miles from us will take care of that end. if he can't I have talked to him about hiring her a driver say once a week or so to do necessary shopping. Lucky for me, she likes the isolation and living in the country. I mentioned about buying a small house in the city and renting it out until the time came that she might want to live there. She said no way. She has no desire to live in the city at all.

• 2 years later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

After reading this topic ,it seems that NO new updates in A while, :any-help:many topics in the past year has dealt with THE FAMILY,moving issues,and other items that are important..YET NOTHING .. YES NOTHING at ALL on"HOW DO YOU INTEND TO PROVIDE FOT YOUR WIFE/GF WHEN YOUR GONE"Does any one have NEW or FRESH information or suggestions on this very important topic :th_Good-Luck:

Edited by ed villas
  • Like 3

brock
Posted
Posted

I am leaving enough money to hire a Hitman :hystery:

• Like 2