Funeral procession.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

Another interesting Philippines funeral tradition is gambling. This is permitted by local authorities. The rationale is to help the family raise money to cover expenses. Oftentimes, professionals run the operations and the family receives a percentage.

I've been to a few of these but the gambling was not professional and it seemed that the winnings were kept by the winner rather than anything going to the 'house" but I'm sure I was missing something. Thanks for the info - I'll look more carefully next time.

• Hmm thinking 1

• 1 month later...
Billoncho
Posted
Posted

A couple of them have gone past our house in Taichung. They've got nothing on Filipina women.

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 2/19/2019 at 1:11 PM, hk blues said:

I've been to a few of these but the gambling was not professional and it seemed that the winnings were kept by the winner rather than anything going to the 'house" but I'm sure I was missing something. Thanks for the info - I'll look more carefully next time.

Common practise here in Cavite. The banker takes his cut at the end of the night and gives what's left over  to the grieving family. The game here is called Sakla. My GF seems to think it's above board. She's won a few times so maybe she's biased. I gave up gambling more than 30 years ago when I got drunk in Vegas and maxed out all of my credit cards.:angry:

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

I gave up gambling more than 30 years ago when I got drunk in Vegas and maxed out all of my credit cards.:angry:

Ouch! 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
On 2/18/2019 at 7:47 PM, JJReyes said:

Another interesting Philippines funeral tradition is gambling. This is permitted by local authorities. The rationale is to help the family raise money to cover expenses. Oftentimes, professionals run the operations and the family receives a percentage.

Thanks for sharing that fact JJ. I always thought it odd gambling is commonly part of a wake. Now I know why.

JJ would you mind to start a new topic for wakes and  funerals in Philippines?