Moving to the Philippines

stevewool
Posted
Posted

The time is getting so close to our retirement date and it’s where shall we go, holidays and site seeing over the coming months and other things are in the pipeline, but where shall we call home.

There has been a great thread about repatriation back to there homeland, but what happens when either partner does not want to go back or ever leave there homeland.

Emma in such a short time has made so many new friends , has got more things then she has ever dreamed of and loves the weather here in England so why would she ever think about moving back to the Philippines .

We will be in the Philippines for around 3- 4 months towards the end of the year to try to complete the house for our living and after that who knows what may happen, Spain has been mentioned before , let’s try and see what it is like living there, who knows.

The new thought is let’s see what happens about living in the Philippines when the weather Changers here in England ie winter when it’s just so damp for months on end, no matter where you live you shall have bills to pay, so by just paying for flights each year maybe this could work for the both of us, until something else comes along.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

Spain has been mentioned before , let’s try and see what it is like living there, who knows.

Steve, I lived there for over 17 years and believe me it is nothing Like having a Holiday there, the Bureaucracy in Spain can be far worse than it is  here in the PI. But remember mate after March 29th, you may be a Foreigner there and things will definitely be a lot worse than they are Now.

Steve Mate, we have had all this before, "he who hesitates is Lost" Springs to mind So for me mate, make your mind up which side your Bread is buttered on:whatever:

• Like 4

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Our current plan is the winter in the Philippines until the time come that the travelling is too much. Philippines or UK after that only time will tell.

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Steve, I lived there for over 17 years and believe me it is nothing Like having a Holiday there, the Bureaucracy in Spain can be far worse than it is  here in the PI. But remember mate after March 29th, you may be a Foreigner there and things will definitely be a lot worse than they are Now.

Steve Mate, we have had all this before, "he who hesitates is Lost" Springs to mind So for me mate, make your mind up which side your Bread is buttered on:whatever:

I hear you Jack.

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I'm an all or nothing guy so the 6 months here and 6 months there approach wouldn't work for me - the logistics just seem too much for me to handle.  Also, I worry that it would be the worst of both worlds rather than the best for me, just based on my character which likes everything to be structured.  However, that's me and we are all different. 

All I can add is, when we are in two minds as to what is best it's perhaps best to do nothing! 

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Thanks Eddie

You must have had some time on your hands to have thought and written down all you have said, I would like to thank you for that.

Only time will tell where I shall be in the future, but I am sure where ever that will be I shall be fine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

Haven't you heard? It's more fun in the Philippines. I must have agreed since I've been here since 2002.:smile:

• Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

Give it a go for at least 6 months Steve, but DON'T burn your bridges back in the UK just yet...  especially as regards property and banking.

Your 'family' stuff,  and location in the Phils relative to them, only you can decide.  All our situations are different.

My wife's family are close by, and are lovely people who probably give more than they take. I feel loved and 'included' by them. Other families can of course be very different.

How your wife will feel about giving up her new (considerably wealthier ?) life in the UK is something else to consider. 

• Like 2