Crushed Red Chili Peppers

Foreigner
Posted
Posted

Asawa made a batch and they turned moldy after a few days... Willing to share your recipe? 

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

My wife likes the hot stuff. So I purchased several plants of "chile labuyo" in pots. The small red peppers kept disappearing overnight. It turns out birds like eating them. We had to install nettings. Rather than crushing the peppers, the Philippine method is to store them in small bottles with vinegar. The peppers are ready for use to flavor food. As experienced by "Foreigner" the crushed peppers may get moldy because of the high humidity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

Finished off a new batch today. Easy to make.IMG_20190220_095222.jpg

IMG_20190220_095157.jpg

The finished product.

IMG_20180823_050818-1.jpg

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Foreigner said:

Asawa made a batch and they turned moldy after a few days... Willing to share your recipe? 

This was 2 kilos of the red peppers from the market. I bought an Oster 500 watt food processor from Lazada.

After de-stemming grind them up in the processor until you can hear the motor not working hard. With 2 kilos had to do it 3 times so as not to over fill.

Let them sit out in the sun all day and then back to the food processor. Next day back in the sun most of the day. By that time back to the food processor for the final grind.

If you don't store them in an airtight container they won't last that long! Good luck! BTW my GF came up with the idea.:wave:

• Love it 1

• 3 months later...
Rayj
Posted
Posted (edited)

I’ve had hot pepper flakes in olive oil on pizza and thought it was great. Now I experiment with hot pepper flakes on just about anything I feel like.  Scrambled eggs is good.

Oooops

Edited by Rayj
Stumbled into an old thread using. Next Unread Topic
  • Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted

For chili flakes, chili powder, cayenne and mustard powder I keep in airtight containers in the fridge. I found outside the fridge the humidity gets to them quite quickly. Oddly I have whole dried Kashmir chillies outside the fridge with no adverse effects.

• Like 1

Rayj
Posted
Posted

Could be they’re too ornery to mold. I experimented with habaneros once until they got the best of me. Never again.

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 5/29/2019 at 9:54 AM, Rayj said:

I’ve had hot pepper flakes in olive oil on pizza and thought it was great. Now I experiment with hot pepper flakes on just about anything I feel like.  Scrambled eggs is good.

Oooops

As far as I'm concerned they are pretty good on most everything. Except maybe ice cream.cake and that sort of thing!:biggrin: 

• Love it 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 5/29/2019 at 1:28 PM, virginprune said:

For chili flakes, chili powder, cayenne and mustard powder I keep in airtight containers in the fridge. I found outside the fridge the humidity gets to them quite quickly. Oddly I have whole dried Kashmir chillies outside the fridge with no adverse effects.

A 2 kilo batch of the dried/crushed red peppers lasts me till the batch runs out, about 2 months or so. Of course in an air tight container. I use it daily and even my GF. is starting to like it. Especially in Sinigang.:tongue: