New member flying in in may

Rashad frelin
Posted
Posted

Hey guys! Looking to fly in to cebu may 3rd!

I was not able to book with the tour company this time due to the dates I'll be there, so I'm looking to just rent a bike and ride around at my own leisure. I would really love to meet up with fellow riders though, for safety and because it's always more fun riding with others. 

I was thinking of renting from mikes in bohol and riding around there. 

I currently ride a kdx200 and a dr650 for the dirt. I also have a brand new yamaha mt10 for the street!

Any folks wanting to offer advice, meetup etc please post up!

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum!

Howard
Posted
Posted

Welcome to a fellow Pennsylvanian! I belong to a nationwide MC group here called RGP or Rouser group of the Philippines. I'm in the Rizal chapter in Metro Manila but there is a Cebu chapter also. Here's a Facebook link to them(it won't let me put a link here, Just search RGP Cebu in Facebook). Just message them and say you're interested in maybe joining up or hanging out, I'm sure they will love to meet you as they always get excited to have a foreign rider in the club. The group is just a bunch of everyday Filipino's and a few foreigners who love to ride. Be prepared though, these guys and girls like to ride Sometimes fast and sometimes far! Have fun!

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Welcome to the forum :)

A piece of advice from one rider to another if I may...

Take it slowly at first, the traffic here will crush you (and I mean literally) if you ride like you're in a western country.

Trucks coming towards you will pull out to overtake directly in your path, jeepneys will diverge into you, cars and tricycles will overtake and then merge back into a spot you're already occupying and it is all normal.  

The traffic here works... differently :)

The traffic in Bohol is insane. The only rule is "get there first", like it is in Cebu.  You will frequently encounter drivers who merge without looking, no lights at night and even an occasional motorcycle at night with a RED light in front! You won't catch me driving at night unless I really need to.

There was mention at a news website that a law was being considered making parents responsible for their children's actions while said children are driving while underage, without a license and so on.:shock_40_anim_gif:

And welcome to the forum. You have chosen well.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Guy F. said:

The traffic in Bohol is insane. The only rule is "get there first", like it is in Cebu.  You will frequently encounter drivers who merge without looking, no lights at night and even an occasional motorcycle at night with a RED light in front! You won't catch me driving at night unless I really need to.

There was mention at a news website that a law was being considered making parents responsible for their children's actions while said children are driving while underage, without a license and so on.:shock_40_anim_gif:

And welcome to the forum. You have chosen well.

Hmmm....

I know you live there, but the 2 times I have been to Bohol I found the traffic to be quite tame relative to the rest of the Philippines.  Sure there are those scenarios you describe, the same as everywhere, but I am used to them and deal with them by extra attention to the road and surroundings.  We rented an Avanza last year and drove all over Panglao and the main island for a week.  Other than a few jams in Tagbilaran, the biggest problem was the lack of climate control / defroster on the Avanza, and the inner windshield fogged up when were at altitude.  We might be going back in a few months, and I will make sure to get a vehicle with a defroster.

Regarding driving at night, that does present issues, especially for older people.  My night vision has gotten worse, and the tint on my Trailblazer is dark, resulting in very bad driving at night.  I try not to use the Trailblazer at night.  My Brio is fine at night so I drive it.  I will get the front tint changed on the Trailblazer.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

“I will make sure to get a vehicle with a defroster”

Wow! I never expected to ever read that here! 

Haha, totally understand how necessary it is considering humidity and all.

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

I should have made it clear that I was thinking of motorcycle riding. A car would be considerably safer. But I gotta tell ya, on Dauis Panglao Island* you don't want to let your guard down. The buses and the white tourist vans are frequently murderous. Three or four months ago a young tourist couple on a motorcycle got clotheslined by a low-hanging wire on a paved road down near Tawala. He died and she was seriously injured. You could probably go to the Bohol and Panglao Expat groups facebook page and look up the photos. It was pitiful, with some random Filipina trying to comfort the female victim.

And don't forget that a foreigner is nearly always expected to pay for damages even without fault.

* The government recently made it legally Dauis Panglao Island to prevent confusion between Panglao the island and Panglao the municipality.  So we will call it DP Island. Someone decided on that name without knowing what else DP stands for. Be warned that a Google or Bing search would yield Not Safe For Work results.

Edited by Guy F.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Old55 said:

“I will make sure to get a vehicle with a defroster”

Wow! I never expected to ever read that here! 

Haha, totally understand how necessary it is considering humidity and all.

The Avanza I owned used to fog up when went to Baguio, which is one of the reasons I sold it.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Another "freak accident". Motorcycle rider after dark vs reaper being pulled by a carabao.

"Freak" accident Yea, right.