Trading from Phils?

Chazrob0914
Posted
Posted

Hello all, Does anyone have experience with stock trading on US markets from the Philippines?  Lets assume I can find decent WIFI and have a VPN.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

If you trade online in the US there is  no reason why you can't do so in Philippines with internet and a VPN I would think. Use the search function to learn about VPN's members use. It's a common subject.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Chazrob0914 said:

Hello all, Does anyone have experience with stock trading on US markets from the Philippines?  Lets assume I can find decent WIFI and have a VPN.

I don't trade frequently but don't have any current issues.  Don't let your broker know you are living in the Philippines or they will boot you or place strict limits on trading.  VPN is a must.

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

Never understood how to get involved with stock trading or betting on horse races. Maybe that's why I haven't lost a lot of money..or earned a lot!:whatever:

• Like 1

Anselm
Posted
Posted

I trade on the British market but have friends who trade on the US market and we both use Interactive Brokers - no VPN needed, they don't have a problem with you being here and it's a good platform in my experience. Hong Kong based I believe. Have a look into that

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Shouldn't make much difference esp if you have a VPN.

northtoalaska
Posted
Posted

Depending on the sophistication of the brokerage you are connecting to it is possible for them to see you’ve connected via a VPN. 

For a while, Wells Fargo, a major American bank, was denying access if they determined you were using a VPN. I, like I’d guess thousands of others, complained and they’ve ceased doing so. 

So, check with your broker on their VPN policy. 

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, northtoalaska said:

Depending on the sophistication of the brokerage you are connecting to it is possible for them to see you’ve connected via a VPN. 

For a while, Wells Fargo, a major American bank, was denying access if they determined you were using a VPN. I, like I’d guess thousands of others, complained and they’ve ceased doing so. 

So, check with your broker on their VPN policy. 

I'm surprised that people will complain when they are doing something (presumeably) wrong - and more so that Wells Fargo would listen!

I may be wrong, but is there a legitimate reason for using  a VPN?

northtoalaska
Posted
Posted

Absolutely. Connecting from any public (hotel, etc.) Wifi has a degree of risk. One example is something called a “Man in the Middle” attack/scam. There are others. 

Using a VPN greatly decreases that risk. 

So, when I’m on the road and away from my home network I always use a VPN. 

I think Wells Fargo meant well, but they realized that not allowing routing through VPN servers defeats the entire purpose of VPNs — ie, greater security. 

• Thanks 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

I use my bank debit card to withdraw money from overseas ATMs and do other online transactions using a laptop.  My bank informed me the $50 liability limit established by the US Congress applies in the event there is some fraudulent activities. The same is not true for online trading like buying or selling stocks, bonds, mutual funds, etc.

One precaution I have, assuming my desire to do transactions in the future, is my laptop address is registered with the financial institution.  I can't use another laptop unless the replacement laptop is first registered.  The account is "locked" in the meantime.  

Edited by JJReyes