Common scams refresher

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I've got a friend over from the UK visiting for a few weeks and I'm busy trying to point out the subtle scams. I think anyone coming here for a first time should undergo a 24hr initiation ceremony to teach them how not to be parted with their money. This was backed up by another guy who was also visiting for a first time and had pretty much been caught out by all the points I raised. 

I was explaining that within days of meeting a female here and exchanging numbers one of her family members will be sick and she needs money for treatment or her family member has to graduate from school but needs to pay for an exam. It this doesn't work she needs money to go home or for her mobile phone. Another common one is an up and coming birthday party so she needs money to treat her relative or it will bring shame on her. 

My friend laughed as he'd already been hit with one of the scams but the other guy had fallen victim to them all. His argument was it's only money as he can't see the harm in it.  

I pointed out that it's now getting out of hand where I currently live and it's teaching the future generation that lying and cheating is the way ahead. 

Some of the Hunter girls I'd see in the bars now openly sit there with their laptops on using the bar wifi to chat to their many boyfriends. The bars turn a blind eye as the girls now buy drinks and eat there. Some girls no longer have customers as they're making more money scamming. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I think you could argue that it starts earlier than that, in fact pretty much as soon as you land with taxi drivers touting for fares outside the front of the airport and then charging much more than the actual rate :)

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I think you could argue that it starts earlier than that, in fact pretty much as soon as you land with taxi drivers touting for fares outside the front of the airport and then charging much more than the actual rate :)

100% true. I always have someone that I know pick me up at the airport. Of course I pay for the gas that they use and throw in a generous tip. I don't know how to advise someone coming for the first time as I've never had to deal with it.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
Just now, Arizona Kid said:

100% true. I always have someone that I know pick me up at the airport. Of course I pay for the gas that they use and throw in a generous tip. I don't know how to advise someone coming for the first time as I've never had to deal with it.

I would suggest that they buy a SIM card at the airport and buy some load (yes it's a bit more expensive there but 500 peso of load is plenty) then download the Grab app.  Then use the Grab app to take them to where they're staying, the fee is set in the app and I find the grab drivers much easier to deal with than the typical taxi driver.

Not perfect, but better than the alternatives in my opinion.

• Like 4

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

First time i arrived at manila airport , the taxi companies started straight away , i had an 8 hour lay over  , they wanted to whisk me away to bars etc , i got so tired of it , i adopted an evangelistic reply ,i pretended that i was a preacher on gods work , hehe ,they gave up once the fire ,brimstone and gates of hell parr kicked in 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

At the Mactan airport stay away from the yellow cabs and use the white cabs- make sure there is a meter.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

It sounds like the entire Philippines operates as a big scam out to get foreign visitors.  Why bother to visit or remain on an extended stay basis?  There are other destinations in the world.  

• Like 3
  • Love it 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Grab have desks at some of the terminals so no need for the app, also book a hotel with a pickup. usually free to pickup but charge for drop offs.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

JJ is right. Is it become that bad every place in Philippines? I don’t think so.

Yes we all need to be aware that there are some that will take advantage. 

• Like 2