Balikbayan box

stevewool
Posted
Posted

We have nearly filled the one box we are sending to the father in law and brother over in the Philippines, it’s funy when you see what goes in , MY Xmas presents, MY old phone, MY deodorant, then it’s ‘ do you still want these’ and on it goes.

We have been shopping for tee shirts , under ware ,socks, even sending flip flops to the Philippines :89:, chocolates, biscuits, washing powder, now it’s down to the last few things, cornbeef and spam lots of them , I will go and get those items myself and I may get a few tins of  Fray Bentos steak pies and puddings.

Ive just been told to get a birthday card to put inside ,his birthday is in April, somehow I think he’s going to get that a little late.

Do any members get a box of your favorits item sent to you that you miss or can’t buy over there on a regular basis 

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

How much is a BB box from the UK.

stevewool
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

How much is a BB box from the UK.

Not sure, but I know a women who knows, she has gone thirds with 2 friends , I shall post the castings later on today.

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

We have been shopping for tee shirts , under ware ,socks, even sending flip flops to the Philippines :89:, chocolates, biscuits, washing powder, now it’s down to the last few things, cornbeef and spam lots of them , I will go and get those items myself and I may get a few tins of  Fray Bentos steak pies and puddings.

Not like before, Corned beef and Spam (imported) is available all over the place now. And not that expensive. Even Hershey's chocolate has invaded. Tee shirts etc. can be bought much cheaper here. They mostly come from China anyways..right? The thing that I have found hard to get here is genuine cotton sheets and pillow cases. And large size cotton Hawaiian shirts.:tongue:  

• Like 3

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)

You will find that many items from the UK are available here now, but some are very expensive. An example is Splenda sweetener which is available in SM Supermarkets but at about three times the UK price. Here in CDO, SM Supermarket stocks a wide range of Tesco products at reasonable prices and Rustans stock Waitrose products and we also have Marks and Spencer which also stock food items. 

One thing I cannot find, which I ship over in quantity, is things like Heinz Salad Cream and Garners Pickled Onions and Branston Pickle. Gilllette shave gel and blades are available here but are ridiculously expensive.

We use a company near Heathrow called Forex which is part of UMAC in Manila to ship our boxes. They collect nationwide in the UK. I think they are reasonably priced and have always been reliable. They usually have an offer of three of their medium boxes (about 30 inches cubed, no weight limit) for £140 (for three) collected from Northampton and deliverd to us in Mindanao. We usually send six boxes each year of various assorted items from food stuffs to tools and hobby items which are not available here.

Ken

Edited by Huggybearman
  • Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

Steve.... I'm out of Gravy Granules ! 

Please send some ! :56da632e94212_1(60):

... But have recently found McVities Digestives !  :dance:

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, graham59 said:

Steve.... I'm out of Gravy Granules ! 

Please send some ! :56da632e94212_1(60):

... But have recently found McVities Digestives !  :dance:

If you can get to marikina, I shall send a few tubs of the stuff.:thumbsup:

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

Not like before, Corned beef and Spam (imported) is available all over the place now. And not that expensive. Even Hershey's chocolate has invaded. Tee shirts etc. can be bought much cheaper here. They mostly come from China anyways..right? The thing that I have found hard to get here is genuine cotton sheets and pillow cases. And large size cotton Hawaiian shirts.:tongue:  

I told the wife all this, but would she listen, but if she is happy doing this , I am happy too.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, graham59 said:

I'm out of Gravy Granules ! 

You should check British goods online there is a guy selling UK products here in the Philippines and he delivers via LBC.

graham59
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, stevewool said:

If you can get to marikina, I shall send a few tubs of the stuff.:thumbsup:

Haha... cheers mate. Kind offer, but I'm about 5 hours north of Manila. 

Just joking.  I'll survive.  :thumbsup:

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic