Balikbayan box

Gary D
Posted
Posted

We have started collecting for our move, tins of spam, custard, will get a pack of baked beans and cereals. Anyhing that is very expensive or hard to get in the Philippines.

stevewool
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

How much is a BB box from the UK.

£46 for 1 medium size box , but I tell you something ,Emma has somehow managed to get everything that would squeeze into a very large box into this medium size box, she should become a magician.

Gary D
Posted
Posted

What amazes me is the little filipino guy who picks the boxes up on his own. I can barely slide them across the floor.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Bringing Spam to Philippines? You guys are joking, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

To the family it's cheaper than buying it locally.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

That explains why they were selling cases of spam in duty free store last time I visited.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

The last time I ordered online the postage was 454. It was way over 4 kilos in weight.I had Branston, Weetabix, shredded wheat, Heinz salad cream sage and onion stuffing, beetroot amongst other things.It was delivered in 3 days to my house. Baked beans well I can get a can of them, which are made in Italy, for 59 pesos in the supermarket here. We have an Aussie butcher and a shop which sells back bacon also a man who makes very good pies. A German shop which sells European groceries.

graham59
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Gary D said:

We have started collecting for our move, tins of spam, custard, will get a pack of baked beans and cereals. Anyhing that is very expensive or hard to get in the Philippines.

Baked beans shouldn't really be a problem to find here. (I buy the RAM brand ones ... lge can = p33 in my local supermarket).

REAL cheese ! Pickles !  Salad Cream.  I also pack 'medical' stuff like Sudocrem cream, and Savlon. 

I'm a DIYer too, so I pack lots of hardware fittings...brackets, tools, including power tools,  steel table legs, etc.  Mostly crap quality here, or overpriced for the decent stuff, where available. Even put my work bench into a box. Here with me now, and so useful.

hk blues
Posted
Posted

This topic always amuses me!

When I was living in Hong Kong, the number of Filipinas packing these boxes in public areas every Sunday was a sight to see.  The items that went in were a surprise to me - toiletries, cheap clothing, household items i.e. all stuff that is readily available here and at similar prices or even cheaper.  I wonder how much the simple pleasure of sending a box of goodies home (and an element of boasting too) may outweigh the real advantages of the process?

• Like 4

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Gary D said:

Hi Gary, Even here in Dumaguete tins of Spam are very easy to get, for sure even easier on Cebu/Luzon etc.  Regarding Baked Beans, Rustan's on Cebu/Luzon stock them, my mate in Manila gets Heinz Baked Beans from Marks and Spencer, we eat a brand of Baked Bean made by 'Molinera' here in Duma, perfect UK style baked beans, exactly like Tesco's home brand. Price is just under a quid for a large tin so very reasonable.  So, tins of Spam and Baked Beans just leave at home, save the weight for more important items.

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic