Balikbayan box

stevewool
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

I am not a particular Fan but it is a common thing here for the Local breakfast, Lightly fried it can fill that gap when it nears Shopping day, then of course, most of us that have served will have memories of it. Being it was on our ration list :whistling:

I remember when I was young I had a choice on Saturday for my teatime sandwiches ,Spam or bananas, yes a nice banana sandwich went down very well.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Sorry boys the fray bentos pies could no go in the box, Emma reminded me there is no oven in the house, never mind I have not tasted one of these since I was knee high to a grasshopper, it’s for dinner tomorrow and not with rice either.

Gary D
Posted
Posted

The wifes family  do work when they can find it and probably live on 2-3000 pesos a month, spam is largely out of their reach. I suspect rice and fingers is often the meal of the day. So anything we send them is a bonus.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Gary D said:

suspect rice and fingers is often the meal of the day. So anything we send them is a bonus.

Should finger nails be removed and is marinated fingers a better option ? 

Gary D
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Should finger nails be removed and is marinated fingers a better option ? 

I have heard that when eating it it's best not to bite the pink bits.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Gary D said:

I have heard that when eating it it's best not to bite the pink bits.

Stay in the pink and avoid the brown, that`s what Alex Higgins used to say.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

Stay in the pink and avoid the brown, that`s what Alex Higgins used to say.

The way he would shake I'd bet he aimed for the pink and ended up in the brown more than a few times! 

• Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

The way he would shake I'd bet he aimed for the pink and ended up in the brown more than a few times! 

Laugh icon.jpg Bit like my dogs then EH?

• Haha 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
On 3/4/2019 at 10:48 AM, hk blues said:

This topic always amuses me!

When I was living in Hong Kong, the number of Filipinas packing these boxes in public areas every Sunday was a sight to see.  The items that went in were a surprise to me - toiletries, cheap clothing, household items i.e. all stuff that is readily available here and at similar prices or even cheaper.  I wonder how much the simple pleasure of sending a box of goodies home (and an element of boasting too) may outweigh the real advantages of the process?

We have some OFW family members that send boxes pretty regularly.  Some good food, but a lot of regular toiletries too.  The family out in the province can't get a lot of that stuff. They buy shampoo sachets at sari-sari stores, the nearest actual grocery store is over 2 hours away, by bus.  We live in the city and get pretty much what we want.

I just went back to the US recently for a visit and sent back 2 large BB boxes. Mostly Barbies and Nerf guns ha ha. I bought toys for all the neighbor kids.  The stuff here is either junk, or overpriced (the Nerf here is 3 times the price as in the US).  Bought lots of gifts for the wife too, of course. I got a new tripod for $35, it would be over $100 here. And tons of books for my kids library  (we have no kids but the neighborhood does).

A YouTube subscriber came to our barangay fiesta and brought me some canned chili. It was good.  We can get it at S&R but it is too damn expensive ha ha.  Free is always good. :tiphat:  

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

We have some OFW family members that send boxes pretty regularly.  Some good food, but a lot of regular toiletries too.  The family out in the province can't get a lot of that stuff. They buy shampoo sachets at sari-sari stores, the nearest actual grocery store is over 2 hours away, by bus.  We live in the city and get pretty much what we want.

I just went back to the US recently for a visit and sent back 2 large BB boxes. Mostly Barbies and Nerf guns ha ha. I bought toys for all the neighbor kids.  The stuff here is either junk, or overpriced (the Nerf here is 3 times the price as in the US).  Bought lots of gifts for the wife too, of course. I got a new tripod for $35, it would be over $100 here. And tons of books for my kids library  (we have no kids but the neighborhood does).

A YouTube subscriber came to our barangay fiesta and brought me some canned chili. It was good.  We can get it at S&R but it is too damn expensive ha ha.  Free is always good. :tiphat:  

I guess it must depend on what you are buying - it's my observation that most day-to-day stuff here is at worst the same price as I was paying in Hong Kong.  Yes, luxury items are more here but I suspect most OFW are not sending luxury items in all honesty, ex-pats maybe slightly more agreed.  

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic