Balikbayan box

Clermont
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, John Chamberlain said:

I have a lot of learning to do and I am going to research it on the net

Yeah John, what I wrote is a quick basic of the process. Do your net research, but I use a vein needle and find the main arteries on the beast ( pig, goat, sheep, beef ) to get the blood out of the veins. Then I use a spray nozzle to inject the brine into the flesh and leave the meat in a solution of salty water for a day, then take it out of the solution and let it dry for another day. the reason to let it dry for a day is so the smoke can penetrate the flesh, smoke won't penetrate overly wet meat. Works well, and after a few attempts you will get to know how much salt to put in your water to make your brine. By the way, bring a good set of stainless steel nozzles over with you, research the web for outlets, as for stirrup pumps, and 20 Lt oil pump works well, Good luck. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Billoncho
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 3/4/2019 at 10:48 AM, hk blues said:

Messed up the quote. Where's the delete post?

Edited by Billoncho
Learning to use the quote feature, now looking for how to delete my mistake.

Billoncho
Posted
Posted
On 3/4/2019 at 10:48 AM, hk blues said:

This topic always amuses me!

When I was living in Hong Kong, the number of Filipinas packing these boxes in public areas every Sunday was a sight to see.  The items that went in were a surprise to me - toiletries, cheap clothing, household items i.e. all stuff that is readily available here and at similar prices or even cheaper.  I wonder how much the simple pleasure of sending a box of goodies home (and an element of boasting too) may outweigh the real advantages of the process?

My wife does the same. I ask her why when they can buy it there. The response is because it's "imported". She sends tons of Toblerone chocolate. Bags of candy from Costco and the funniest is that she saves all the disposable bags that we get shopping, folds them up and sends them.

• Hmm thinking 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
On 3/16/2019 at 12:47 AM, Gary D said:

The biggest problem with having the pigs or any animal away from the house is them being stollen, we had a goat disappear recently.

Wow. People here in Davao stake goats out all of the time. Cattle, too. Although, it's hard to pick up a cow and run with it...

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, John Chamberlain said:

I am sorry to hear of your loss, we have family near by with dogs that keep most things safe but theft is a risk without any doubt & also there is an air born infection that Pigs & chickens can pick up, it killed all the chickens a couple of years ago which makes me think I need to do a lot more research, it would be a very costly disaster to build a good sized set up with 10 breeding females only to have them all die !!

Bio security on the farm can be a tough one , pig flu virus can live in dead pork 

So the rough rules are , dont let any other pig farmers on your farm , keep dipping your feet in disenfectant , 

I have spent in the region of 2 mill pesos on building 10 farrowing pens , pens for 80 fattening pigs , a pen for the sows to relax in between litters , the sows cost 200t for 5 

This is a proper commercial piggery 

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, JDDavao said:

Although, it's hard to pick up a cow and run with it..

Hard to fit in a Balikbayan box too :hystery:

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 3/15/2019 at 6:34 PM, hk blues said:

Great idea as long as you put them downwind of the house, John!

When I was a kid my parents would get rid of me for a month during school vacation at my Uncle's farm in Iowa. He had pigs and after the first 3 or 4 days I got used to the smell and didn't even notice it. Baled hay, walked the bean rows to remove weeds and cleaned out the chicken coop floor to be used as manure. He had cows too so got fresh milk every day. One of the best times I've ever had.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, jimeve said:

Hard to fit in a Balikbayan box too :hystery:

OH! I don't know where there's a will comes to mind  cow inflatable.jpg :whistling: Inflatable EH?:wink:

• Haha 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic