Carrying Coals to Newcastle

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

In England we have an expression Carrying Coals to Newcastle, which refers to carrying stuff that is plentiful where you are going.

So Guy's n Gal's (not many ladies these days posting)

What food/items do you miss from back home, which are not available in Philippines.

And what food/items have you been surprised to find in Philippines from back home?

Edited by Kuya John

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

I miss M&S Steak and Kidney puds and pork pies, and their Haddock and Cod Fillets. Bulmers Strongbow Cider, Colemans Mustard , But hey this is the Philippines ! So its Chicken Cordon Bleu, San Mig Apple flavoured Beer,And Alaskan Pollock instead.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Great topic John.

Good quality fresh cheese 🧀 is become fairly common in the Cebu City area. 

During or visits I can’t find good quality fresh beef.

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

One my holidays there I could not find any nice bread.

• Sad 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, stevewool said:

Must admit Steve I quite like the little bread rolls with breakfast "Panesal" baked fresh and still warm.

How about sausages, the only ones I've had in Philippines are "Longanisa" which have a sweet taste to them.

Has anyone found a place that sell/serves Cumberland type sausage or Pork and apple sausages.

(which I love especially with black pudding, bacon, mushrooms and a fried egg on top.)

Starting to get hungry now. :SugarwareZ-047:

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, stevewool said:

There are 2 German and 1 french baker here in Dumaguete, also Lee plaza does some very nice sliced unsweetened bread and wholewheat baguettes. We also have several German butchers who are good and 1 Australian butcher who is excellent. 

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

Has anyone found a place that sell/serves Cumberland type sausage or Pork and apple sausages.

Yes. they are for sale here in Dumaguete and you can get either blood sausage or black pudding here. Fray Bentos pies and puddings can be ordered online. I miss smoked haddock, parsnip, and swede which have eluded me the 7-8 years I have been here. I can get quite a lot of things from The German grocery stores of which there are 3 in Dumaguete. Gravy I use Knorr or  McCormick.

• Love it 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, expatuk2014 said:

I miss M&S Steak and Kidney puds and pork pies, and their Haddock and Cod Fillets. Bulmers Strongbow Cider, Colemans Mustard , But hey this is the Philippines ! So its Chicken Cordon Bleu, San Mig Apple flavoured Beer,And Alaskan Pollock instead.

You can get Coleman's Mustard in SM Supermarket, at lest in the one we shop at.

There are a few local delicacies that are not available here, but then again they were not available in Hong Kong, or even in Manchester where I lived previously.

I reckon most everyday things are available albeit in an alternative style, flavour etc.  That said, I'm easily pleased and have never been one to crave certain foods/brands etc which is lucky given where we are.  

DavidK
Posted
Posted

Elephant leg kebabs. Most other things are available if you know where to look. Decent sausages are a rarity though. 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, DavidK said:

Decent sausages are a rarity though. 

As mentioned before by member sonjack, it depends where you live, here on Negros and Southern Cebu we have some decent Butchers :shades: 

• Like 1