Alternatives to the Philippines

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I am still focused on the Philippines as a retirement destination once I start needing assisted care.  The problem is the government is developing sentiments favoring China's sphere of influence.  The situation in the coming years might make things uncomfortable for Westerners.  One report indicates that China is looking towards the Philippines as a retirement place for millions of their elderly as the cost of caregivers is much lower. 

Have forum members researched other places as an alternative to independent or assisted living?  My dream remains getting a condo near a hospital and hiring 24/7 caregivers to take care of my needs.  It won't be in Metro Manila.  Possibilities include Cebu and Dumaguete.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I am planning to move to the Philippines with my younger wife and she would just care for me, but dont tell her that.:whistling:

• Haha 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have 2 friends visiting from Thailand who are thinking of getting out of there as it is very anti-foreigner there. They are looking at the Philippines as an alternative. I did a quick estimation of how much the expats around Dumaguete ( apparently 4000) spend and if you say 1000k US that they spend per month = 48 million per year so I don`t believe it will be anti-western here ever.

• Like 5

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, stevewool said:

I am planning to move to the Philippines with my younger wife and she would just care for me, but dont tell her that.:whistling:

I won't tell her if she doesn't ask me. I can't keep a secret!:shades: 

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, JJReyes said:

My dream

Guam

• Sad 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

There is the Malaysia My Second Home Program which might be an option for the OP.

http://www.mm2h.gov.my/index.php/en/

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I lived in Hong Kong for 10 years - there was no anti-western sentiment there and Hong Kong is a lot more Chinese than the Philippines will ever be.  Further, money talks - 48 million times as per the post above so I think we'll be OK as long as we keep putting our hands in our wallets.  

If the Philippines jumps into bed with China it will need to boot the USA out of the bed first - do you think they will do that?

There might be many reasons to consider alternatives to the Philippines, but the fear of it becoming a 'colony' of China and Chinese is not one IMO.   

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

I did a quick estimation of how much the expats around Dumaguete ( apparently 4000)

Thanks for posting some numbers. I know that Duma is a very popular ex-pat destination, but I never knew how largely popular it has become. No shortage of guys to spend time with over coffees or drinks for some socializing, apparently.  I visited there 10 years ago and was amazed how many expats were at McD's in the morning when I dropped in to try to track down a friend. The dozen guys there told me they didn't know him, but maybe he dropped in on the earlier or later day shifts of expats that hang out there.  I was astounded by the number of foreigners about.  A Google search provided some older articles putting the numbers at c. 1200 long term, but up to 5,000 living there on tourist visas, so you estimate sounds good. Thanks again.

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

A BBC Documentary called The Real Marigold (hotel ) Tour consists of elderly Brits checking out places for retirement/ Long term vacations. Surprisingly Vietnam came up as an option along with Mexico  and Argentina.

One thing they don't cover is medical facilities or expensive, but climate wise some good options.:tiphat:

Well worth viewing while still on BBC Iplayer. :thumbsup:

Edited by Kuya John
memory loss spelling
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

A BBC Documentary called The Real Marigold (hotel ) Tour consists of elderly Brits checking out places for retirement/ Long term vacations. Surprisingly Vietnam came up as an option along with Mexico  and Argentina.

One thing they don't cover is medical facilities or expensive, but climate wise some good options.:tiphat:

Well worth viewing while still on BBC Iplayer. :thumbsup:

Was that the one where they went to India in one episode?