Alternatives to the Philippines

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

The Angry Midget whilst she's a filipina is a pragmatist, and she's always said to me have a look at Cambodia.  She loves her country but she says they are  better deals out there.  Not so much with the ownership etc but with what we have to deal with when we're old.  Certain countries have realised that there's a massive market to be tapped.  There's already tiered retirement villages set up to cater to old white folk at a fraction of the price of our home countries.  Anyway, when I can move there I'll be in PH, and when I'm old and infirm maybe somewhere else.  There is no final destination.  

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

They did a whole series in India. The latest one's are ok but a bit superficial. The Philippines say they like foreign retirees but they could go a long way to make it much easier.

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

Was that the one where they went to India in one episode? 

You are correct hk blues,

They are cashing in on the popularity of the film's The Real Marigold Hotel 1/2.

Just a bunch of retired celebrities trying out different Countries, however well worth watching for the Scenery alone.

That said, my wife has expressed a desire to visit Vietnam for the beauty of the countryside and "El Nido" type coastlines as part of our next major trip before heading home to Philippines.......we will see if I'm up for it.

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Gary D said:

The Philippines say they like foreign retirees but they could go a long way to make it much easier.

I don`t see the 13a visa as being difficult in any way. Gary D could you explain your post a little with why you think it is difficult to retire here.

Gator
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, BrettGC said:

........  There is no final destination.  

Not sure if I agree as I can think of 3. First would be 6 feet under. Second would be sleeping with the fishes - wrapped in sail cloth and dumped overboard into the deep blue. And third would be going the Cheech and Chong route - up in smoke! 😂😂😂

• Haha 3

Reboot
Posted
Posted
On 3/7/2019 at 11:43 AM, JJReyes said:

I am still focused on the Philippines as a retirement destination once I start needing assisted care.  The problem is the government is developing sentiments favoring China's sphere of influence.  The situation in the coming years might make things uncomfortable for Westerners.  One report indicates that China is looking towards the Philippines as a retirement place for millions of their elderly as the cost of caregivers is much lower. 

Have forum members researched other places as an alternative to independent or assisted living?  My dream remains getting a condo near a hospital and hiring 24/7 caregivers to take care of my needs.  It won't be in Metro Manila.  Possibilities include Cebu and Dumaguete.

Honestly JJReyes, how much of this is just because of Duterte? And how much will outlast him after he leaves office? Filipino sentiment, in general, seems quite anti-Chinese. At least that is what I have experienced. 

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Reboot said:

hiring 24/7 caregivers to take care of my needs.

Well I don't know about others but I have 24/7 care, so does my wife, we are called a "Married couple" and are happy to do what is needed. There are days when I sit and think, the main problem with marriage is to me, the lack of Commitment and generally taking each other for Granted. If more couples thought about things more there would be no need for caregivers and Such. If We are keeping checks on our health as we should be and staying a little ahead of the way we live the time I would need to be incarcerated in a  bed will be my death one. :console:

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Well I don't know about others but I have 24/7 care, so does my wife, we are called a "Married couple" and are happy to do what is needed. There are days when I sit and think, the main problem with marriage is to me, the lack of Commitment and generally taking each other for Granted. If more couples thought about things more there would be no need for caregivers and Such. If We are keeping checks on our health as we should be and staying a little ahead of the way we live the time I would need to be incarcerated in a  bed will be my death one. :console:

We have been married 47 years and my wife assures me she will take care of me.  I have a bad back and don't exercise much compared to her daily two hours fast walk and approximately 5 miles.  The problem is my weight is 200 pounds and she is less than 90 pounds.  She won't be able to lift me from bed.  Hench, the anticipated future need for caregivers.  

My research indicates that our current annual budget as independent seniors is sufficient to pay for assisted care and living expenses in the Philippines.  The same is not true for the United States.  In home licensed caregivers can cost $6,000 to $12,000 a month depending on the state.  Medicare will not pay for custodial care.  The state might pay for the cost of a senior facility, but usually after all your assets, except the primary home, and savings are exhausted. 

Therefore, my preference is the Philippines or another lower cost of living overseas destination.  

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

With all due respect Jack, the probability is that at some point your wife and you will not be together for the obvious reason, and even before that either/both of you may not be physicaally or mentally capable of taking care of each other.

Edited by hk blues

Gary D
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

I don`t see the 13a visa as being difficult in any way. Gary D could you explain your post a little with why you think it is difficult to retire here.

Ok lets look at the 13a, once obtained you need to report yearly and pay a fee, small granted. You need permission and pay a tax to travel from the country. You have no citizen rights. You status is reliant on your wife. Now compare that to the UK or the USA.