Alternatives to the Philippines

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Yeah but I think the OP is not thinking that way, I am thinking that his investigations are on what is said on websites and not the actuality YET he tells us that he has children that hold good positions in the US and for me, That is where he should be looking for that "Dream" he has. The Philippines were once a good safe cheap bet but I fear, the more they grow out of this 3rd world  situation and gear up to western standards that we are always talking and wishing for  this has changed and this particular issue is at the top of us oldies list :huh:

Such is my take on things :wink:

Prior to retirement, I spent two years researching about assisted living and skilled nursing care facilities both in the United States and the Philippines.  The research included visits to all known facilities in the Philippines at the time and a few in the United States.  Purpose was to possibly start a Continuing Care Retirement Community for foreigners using the family farm.  It was my wife who convinced me not to proceed.  While the data is five years old, the premise is still valid because prices in America have increased during the same period, but at a much higher rate.

My concern is Philippine social and cultural dynamics is rapidly changing to a point where it might be prudent to start looking elsewhere.  This forum is my "eyes and ears" as to what is happening.  Also friends, classmates, cousins who went overseas to work and plan to return to the Philippines.  The word, "balikbayan" is appropriate for us.  The government encourages returning Filipinos because they help contribute to prosperity.  

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, JJReyes said:

I spent two years researching about assisted living and skilled nursing care facilities

Some countries are more geared up to assisted dying!

If you can't rely on your children to look after you when you become infirmed, you can always go into a care home and spend your days watching your hard earned money dwindle to nothing at about £1000 per week in the UK.

I always said I would not burden my kids with looking after me in old age, but their inheritance might just depend upon it!

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Gary D said:

I wasn't taking about cost just all the continuing BS. I can afford to retire in the UK but as my wife has spent 25 years of her life in the UK it's now my turn to spend time in the Philippines. When my wife came to the UK she obviously went through the immigration process but that is it, she can come and go as she pleases, no reporting or ECC etc. No on going BS, she's treated no differently to anyone else.

Does she have a uk passport?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kuya John said:

Some countries are more geared up to assisted dying!

If you can't rely on your children to look after you when you become infirmed, you can always go into a care home and spend your days watching your hard earned money dwindle to nothing at about £1000 per week in the UK.

I always said I would not burden my kids with looking after me in old age, but their inheritance might just depend upon it!

I am looking at the Philippines or another country as a final destination when I am no longer able to take care of myself.  The issue is financial.  Why spend $6,000 to $12,000 a month for one full-time, live-in caregiver in the United States?  It would be much cheaper to pay for care in the Philippines. One question:  Should it be the Philippines because I was born there or is there another country?  My wife, for example, objects that the Philippines is too far.  Her preference is somewhere closer like Central or South America so she could visit our two sons and granddaughter. 

jimeve
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Gary D said:

I wasn't taking about cost just all the continuing BS. I can afford to retire in the UK but as my wife has spent 25 years of her life in the UK it's now my turn to spend time in the Philippines. When my wife came to the UK she obviously went through the immigration process but that is it, she can come and go as she pleases, no reporting or ECC etc. No on going BS, she's treated no differently to anyone else.

My wife spent some time in the UK too, she has dual nationality, but if she returns to the UK she has to use her Filipino passport, that means ECC. iF she tries and use her British passport they will hit her with being an overstayer and a large fine. Just saying. 

Edited by jimeve
  • Like 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

My wife, for example, objects that the Philippines is too far.  Her preference is somewhere closer like Central or South America so she could visit our two sons and granddaughter. 

IMO the distance factor is not anywhere near so important as the time element of travel, the simplicity and comfort in transit, etc when measured from door to door. The air time has to be balanced off against all the other elements. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Anothering sobering thought for us Brits - we have paid into the NHS through NI for all our working lives and at the time we are most likely to use it i.e. in our older years, we moved to another country and miss the  boat.  Sobering indeed!  

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

in our older years, we moved to another country and miss the  boat.  Sobering indeed!  

:shock_40_anim_gif: yep! So i will just have  a couple to drown my sorrows :whistling: beer sori sori.jpg x a few

• Haha 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, JJReyes said:

I am looking at the Philippines or another country as a final destination when I am no longer able to take care of myself.  The issue is financial.  Why spend $6,000 to $12,000 a month for one full-time, live-in caregiver in the United States?  It would be much cheaper to pay for care in the Philippines. One question:  Should it be the Philippines because I was born there or is there another country?  My wife, for example, objects that the Philippines is too far.  Her preference is somewhere closer like Central or South America so she could visit our two sons and granddaughter. 

Surely another aspect apart from the savings cost must be, which climate will be most suitable to our health in old age.

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

Surely another aspect apart from the savings cost must be, which climate will be most suitable to our health in old age.

A warm breeze on my wrinkly body or a damp wet outlook for months on end , I know where I would like to be.

• Like 1