JJReyes

Alternatives to the Philippines

On 3/9/2019 at 11:49 PM, JJReyes said:

Prior to retirement, I spent two years researching about assisted living and skilled nursing care facilities both in the United States and the Philippines.  The research included visits to all known facilities in the Philippines at the time and a few in the United States.  Purpose was to possibly start a Continuing Care Retirement Community for foreigners using the family farm.  It was my wife who convinced me not to proceed.  While the data is five years old, the premise is still valid because prices in America have increased during the same period, but at a much higher rate.

My concern is Philippine social and cultural dynamics is rapidly changing to a point where it might be prudent to start looking elsewhere.  This forum is my "eyes and ears" as to what is happening.  Also friends, classmates, cousins who went overseas to work and plan to return to the Philippines.  The word, "balikbayan" is appropriate for us.  The government encourages returning Filipinos because they help contribute to prosperity.  

JJ,  My wife and I and a few friends were kicking this idea around a few months ago.  Subject got started because of my aging parents in the states.  As much as I enjoy it here I just don't think my parents could adjust very easily to the changes needed to live here.  They have no ties here like I do with my wife's family.  Anyway, we all thought the idea of a retirement nursing/assisted living community would be a good idea here and could be a good business.   However, we all agreed it would be best to cater to "Balikbayans" and their spouse.  I don't have the desire or capital to start such a venture but sure would like to see someone run with the idea.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Viking said:

You are probably right in some ways, I guess it depends on how you look at it. Hot climates is usually not so good for the cardio vascular system for us foreigners but those who have arthritis, rheumatism and other similar problems usually feel better compared to the cold climate at home. Maybe its better to feel good as long as you live instead of having a longer life with more suffering? :89:

Tommy went to pay his last respects to an old mate, after viewing the coffin he turned to the widow and said \Wow your husband looks so well lying there, yes replied the wife, we have just come back off holiday!

Wherever you choose to live or retire so long as you are enjoying it in comfort so be it.

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go arwy"............Robert Burns-- To a Mouse

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, intrepid said:

JJ,  My wife and I and a few friends were kicking this idea around a few months ago.  Subject got started because of my aging parents in the states.  As much as I enjoy it here I just don't think my parents could adjust very easily to the changes needed to live here.  They have no ties here like I do with my wife's family.  Anyway, we all thought the idea of a retirement nursing/assisted living community would be a good idea here and could be a good business.   However, we all agreed it would be best to cater to "Balikbayans" and their spouse.  I don't have the desire or capital to start such a venture but sure would like to see someone run with the idea.

A retired couple from Germany (wife is Filipina) rented a large home in Iloilo with a high, secured fence.  During the time of my visit, they had 3 clients with Alzheimer's.  Last I heard, they were opening their third home in Cebu.  Another, a medical doctor, has eight homes in Metro Manila.  He looks for large family homes whose children are grown-up and have left.  The doctor's clients are mostly Filipinos, but he was interested in starting a facility for foreign nationals.  

There are large assisted care homes throughout the United States.  Most are corporate owned.  But the predominant industry are mom & pop operations who care for 2 to 7 elderly clients in a large residential home.  In states like California and Hawaii, care of the elderly is one of the few businesses that can be operated in a residential community.  Filipinos in California dominate this segment of the elderly care business because their temperament is well suited and it's a way to provide employment for their extended families.  

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

My father is 91 and mother 85, I really don't think they would be able to handle the climate. Unless you are brought up in it you get less tolerant in advanced years.

• Like 3

On 3/10/2019 at 5:41 AM, Gary D said:

We intend to, summer in the UK and UK winter in the Philippines.

We are thinking along the same lines as Gary. Not cheap but for us the best of both worlds.

• Like 3

On 3/10/2019 at 12:41 PM, Gary D said:

We intend to, summer in the UK and UK winter in the Philippines.

Summer in the uk, well that could be a few days , a few weeks or pushing it it could be a month.:hystery:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gary D said:

My father is 91 and mother 85, I really don't think they would be able to handle the climate. Unless you are brought up in it you get less tolerant in advanced years.

Thats why I dont want to wait too long before making the move, lol :laugh:

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Old55 said:

We are thinking along the same lines as Gary. Not cheap but for us the best of both worlds.

I agree, this is probably the best thing to do if you can afford it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Viking said:

I agree, this is probably the best thing to do if you can afford it.

If you have property in both places then you are free from paying rent , so it’s just the flight and you can go when the flight price is the best for you, sounds simple ,but with bills here and there it will take a little working out but like you and the others have said , could be the best all round.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevewool said:

If you have property in both places then you are free from paying rent , so it’s just the flight and you can go when the flight price is the best for you, sounds simple ,but with bills here and there it will take a little working out but like you and the others have said , could be the best all round.

Thats true, but you also need someone you can trust to keep an eye on your property when you are not there. Its not very fun coming "home" and find out that lots of things are missing every visit you make.

This reminds me about a story I read about a pinay who had built a house on her familys land. She had put a big part of her savings in it and it was a really nice house. She went home to her husband in Europé or US after everything was finished, and she was very proud, since it had always been her dream to have a house on her own.

A year later it was time for the husband to see it for the first time and she was really exited to go back there together with him. They were picked up at the Airport by a brother, he had a pretty new car, she thought it was strange because he did not had a regular job, but she did not say anything. When they arrived home she had a shock. Only the walls were left of the house, Everything else was gone, furniture, roof, windows, aircon, doors, electrical appliances, washstand, watercloset, EVERYTHING!!!

She asked her brother (living 15 meters from her house) what had happened?? and the answear she got was: I DONT KNOW!!!!!

There was pictures of the house, before and after so I actually think it was all true. A very sad story. If I remember right she broke with her family after this and I cant blame her for that.

Bottom line is that I dont want this to happen to me, I guess it would have given me an heart attack :angry_80_anim_gif: