Alternatives to the Philippines

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, stevewool said:

If you have property in both places then you are free from paying rent , so it’s just the flight and you can go when the flight price is the best for you, sounds simple ,but with bills here and there it will take a little working out but like you and the others have said , could be the best all round.

Steve I know we covered that in a previous Topic, three months out of UK and you have to apply for repatriation!

Unless you are travelling under the Radar.

1 hour ago, Viking said:

Thats true, but you also need someone you can trust to keep an eye on your property when you are not there. Its not very fun coming "home" and find out that lots of things are missing every visit you make.

There older you get the less you will be up for the hassle of long haul flight's and your property under insurance policy agreements should not be left vacant over a certain length of time!.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Gary D said:

I was talking about the constant whoop jumping in the Philippines, what are you talking about.

On a 13a we have to report 1 time per year and it takes less than an hour so I hardly call that difficult. You mentioned that your wife had leave to stay in the UK and she did not have to do anything else. That is not retirement she came as your wife. Here you can do the same thing and become a Philippino citizen but you would have to renounce your UK citizenship. I would not recommend that.

Edited by sonjack2847

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, stevewool said:

Summer in the uk, well that could be a few days , a few weeks or pushing it it could be a month.:hystery:

This reminds me of the old joke - I spent a great summer in Scotland last year, It was a Tuesday!  :tongue:

• Haha 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Steve I know we covered that in a previous Topic, three months out of UK and you have to apply for repatriation!

There older you get the less you will be up for the hassle of long haul flight's and your property under insurance policy agreements should not be left vacant over a certain length of time!.

Where there is a will there is away.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Not to sure about the small print in repatrapiation back into the uk, but my travel insurance will cover myself and Emma for a whole 90 days if I am out of the country and visiting most places in the world, now that could be our winter here.

The insurance on the house I think that’s around 30 days , but with my daughter and son still in the house paying there board for my cheap flights , and talking of flights I can fly out early December and back early March for the two of us for the grand total of £940.

I do understand about the long flights and the older I get but being a spring chicken compared to others ,you never know it could work.

• Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

Not to sure about the small print in repatrapiation back into the uk, but my travel insurance will cover myself and Emma for a whole 90 days if I am out of the country and visiting most places in the world, now that could be our winter here.

The insurance on the house I think that’s around 30 days , but with my daughter and son still in the house paying there board for my cheap flights , and talking of flights I can fly out early December and back early March for the two of us for the grand total of £940.

I do understand about the long flights and the older I get but being a spring chicken compared to others ,you never know it could work.

I'm sure you will, but make sure all your ducks are in a row with the various insurances and legal stuff.  These things have a habit of being fine as long as they are fine, but as soon as something goes wrong you can get a nasty surprise.  Leaving the house unattended for 30+ days will give you a problem - even if your family are staying you may need to let your insurer know.

Honestly speaking, I wouldn't choose the 50/50 option as it seems to have a lot of organisation both ends for me. 

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, stevewool said:

Not to sure about the small print in repatrapiation back into the uk

I should of mentioned over 3 months residence elsewhere requires repatriation papers.

A extended holiday with return flight's is a different thing..... my little spring chicken :chickendance:

Cheeky Buzzard:mocking:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted (edited)

House insurance is available for longterm vacancy. You can also get longterm travel insurance but it does get a bit expensive, 6 months would cost £500ish. The big problem with travel insurance is age.

Edited by Gary D

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

My wife's parents are late 70s and mid 80s respectively and mama is mostly bed ridden as the result of a stroke.  She did some research to see what assisted care facilities could be found in Cebu.  The price for one person was 50,000 per month and 80,000 peso for two sharing the same room.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Mike J said:

The price for one person was 50,000 per month and 80,000 peso for two sharing the same room.

I presume Meds and Doctors bills are on top of that? Those Figures are about similar to my neighbour here in Dumaguete that I related to :unsure:

• Like 1