Alternatives to the Philippines

jimeve
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Mike J said:

My wife's parents are late 70s and mid 80s respectively and mama is mostly bed ridden as the result of a stroke.  She did some research to see what assisted care facilities could be found in Cebu.  The price for one person was 50,000 per month and 80,000 peso for two sharing the same room.

Back to the UK and take my chances,  not an option for me and my Missus. Going back in 10 years from now anyway.  

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
Just now, Jack Peterson said:

I presume Meds and Doctors bills are on top of that? Those Figures are about similar to my neighbour here in Dumaguete that I related to :unsure:

Correct Jack.  These fees cover housing, food, housekeeping, and basic care required for the elderly.  Doctor visits, meds, etc are not included.  

• Thanks 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

That is cheap compared to the UK but the meds and doctors are free. Oh once you have spent all your money the government picks up the bill. Starts to make the Philippines look expensive in the long run.

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 3/14/2019 at 9:15 AM, Mike J said:

Correct Jack.  These fees cover housing, food, housekeeping, and basic care required for the elderly.  Doctor visits, meds, etc are not included.  

Well so much depends on one's health, who wants to drag on bed ridden an suffering. I have seen to much of this, myself when the time comes I am unable to have any quality of life it's time to turn the lights off. 

Find it personally pointless to go on, miserable and suffering. Recently my friend suffered his second stroke, this further firmed my view for myself it's not a life I would want. Each to his own.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Gary D said:

That is cheap compared to the UK but the meds and doctors are free. Oh once you have spent all your money the government picks up the bill. Starts to make the Philippines look expensive in the long run.

The government stops more than enough taxes over your lifetime in the UK to pay for healthcare without getting you to spend all your money first.

Edited by sonjack2847
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

The government stops more than enough taxes over your lifetime in the UK to pay for healthcare without getting you to spend all your money first.

You would like to think so, but apparently not.  I don't think the government wants to cut NHI funding, but the pot is limited and there are a lot of other demands on it i.e. education. welfare etc etc

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Gary D said:
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

You would like to think so, but apparently not.  I don't think the government wants to cut NHI funding, but the pot is limited and there are a lot of other demands on it i.e. education. welfare etc etc

The point I was making is that in the Philippines when the money stops the care stops, there is not welfare safty net.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

I agree, but with the ongoing budget deficit in the UK NHS the treatment is, if not stopping,  being delayed and people are suffering, and dyeing,  as a result.

Regardless, our NHS is still up there with the best in the world and let's hope it can remain so.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

The point I was making is that in the Philippines when the money stops the care stops, there is not welfare safty net.

Valid point, however that is what makes the health care affordable here as opposed to countries with socialized medical care and/or laws which require hospitals to grant care even if the patient cannot pay.  That is why health care costs in the USA are going through the roof.  Ten years ago I had out patient surgery on my lower back, micro laminectomy.  In/out same day and the total cost was $86,000.  Hard to imagine what it would cost today.

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:07 AM, Mike J said:

My wife's parents are late 70s and mid 80s respectively and mama is mostly bed ridden as the result of a stroke.  She did some research to see what assisted care facilities could be found in Cebu.  The price for one person was 50,000 per month and 80,000 peso for two sharing the same room.

Thats about the same money you would have to pay in Sweden, 50-60k in pesos for one person, but that includes everything, rent, care, food, doctors fees and medicin.

If you have a small income you pay less.

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 6:55 AM, Gary D said:

It sounds expensive to me compared to the cost of all other things in PH.

• Like 1