Alternatives to the Philippines

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Viking said:

Thats about the same money you would have to pay in Sweden, 50-60k in pesos for one person, but that includes everything, rent, care, food, doctors fees and medicin.

To compare the two numbers it is important to look at the tax rates for the respective countries.  For Sweden the rate is expected to be 61.85% for the current quarter.  In addition there is a 25% sales tax.  The rate in the Philippines starts at zero and tops out at 35% for those making over 8,000,000 peso per year.  The sales tax is 12%.  So in Sweden the majority cost of assisted care is being paid with taxes as opposed to the Philippines "pay as you go" system.   

https://tradingeconomics.com/sweden/personal-income-tax-rate

https://www.pinoymoneytalk.com/new-income-tax-table-rates-philippines/

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 4

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
On 3/15/2019 at 2:27 AM, RBM said:

Well so much depends on one's health, who wants to drag on bed ridden an suffering. I have seen to much of this, myself when the time comes I am unable to have any quality of life it's time to turn the lights off. 

Find it personally pointless to go on, miserable and suffering. Recently my friend suffered his second stroke, this further firmed my view for myself it's not a life I would want. Each to his own.

As ive said before i work for our NHS , i see bed rudden people every day

Im with you , when the quality of life goes , whats the point of lying in a bed being cared for , having your nappy changed etc 

It is controversial to say this but i think that ,its very selfish to continue to live when the quality of life has gone

Ive instructed my kids to send me to veritas , if the time comes but on second thoughts it might be cheaper to pay a hit man in the Philippines, same result 

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
On 3/15/2019 at 4:13 AM, hk blues said:

You would like to think so, but apparently not.  I don't think the government wants to cut NHI funding, but the pot is limited and there are a lot of other demands on it i.e. education. welfare etc etc

You forgot to mention the corruption and the poor management 

• Hmm thinking 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:31 AM, Mike J said:

To compare the two numbers it is important to look at the tax rates for the respective countries.  For Sweden the rate is expected to be 61.85% for the current quarter.  In addition there is a 25% sales tax.  The rate in the Philippines starts at zero and tops out at 35% for those making over 8,000,000 peso per year.  The sales tax is 12%.  So in Sweden the majority cost of assisted care is being paid with taxes as opposed to the Philippines "pay as you go" system.   

https://tradingeconomics.com/sweden/personal-income-tax-rate

https://www.pinoymoneytalk.com/new-income-tax-table-rates-philippines/

62% sounds very high but maybe thats true when you include the fees that the employer pays. My income is average and from that I pay 35 % in tax.

The difference is that in Sweden those with a very low income can still get the medical help they need. In Philippines you must have a very good/high paid job to be able to afford putting your parents in a home for elderly people if it cost 80k a month.

Biggest problem about taxes in Sweden now is that people get less and less but the taxes is still high! Where do the money go? :whistling:

For those of us who have contributed to the system in a country  with free/subsidized healthcare the most logical thing to do would be to go home when we need more qualified care. Why pay for the same thing twice.

Thats how I feel but anyone do as they want :tiphat:

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

Im with you , when the quality of life goes , whats the point of lying in a bed being cared for , having your nappy changed etc 

It is controversial to say this but i think that ,its very selfish to continue to live when the quality of life has gone

Ive instructed my kids to send me to veritas , if the time comes but on second thoughts it might be cheaper to pay a hit man in the Philippines, same result 

I'm with you. When I retired from the USN after 22 years one of the jobs I got was a pest control technician for Orkin. One of my customers was an old folks home where people who couldn't afford private care sent their old folks to a place that was State subsidized. 99% of the patients there didn't even know who they were. The smell when I walked into the place was horrendous. Poop smell comes to mind. Yelling, screaming, and old people in wheelchairs grabbing at me for no apparent reason. 

That's not living, it's existing. I don't want any part of that and I've told my family the same. Do not resuscitate! Strong but meaningful words. I keep an option in my locked closet.:56da64af91f92_23_11_602:

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Viking said:

For those of us who have contributed to the system in a country  with free/subsidized healthcare the most logical thing to do would be to go home when we need more qualified care. Why pay for the same thing twice.

I made this very point a few posts ago.  But, this assumes you are able to make the long trip home. :wink:

• Like 2

JimBrooks
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bastonjock said:

Cyanide is cheap

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Viking said:

That's what I intended to do, that's if they're have me back :6: 

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, bastonjock said:

If you can afford it, go to Switzerland where euthanasia is legal.  There are clinics that specialize in assisting non-citizens.

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

If you can afford it, go to Switzerland where euthanasia is legal.  There are clinics that specialize in assisting non-citizens.

They can also be found in belgium