Taking the Michael

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Im not sure if this is in the right forum ,but i want to winge about a fellow electrician 

Ive been covering for this other sparkie for about 6 months this time , i have to drive down to his area to do his work , i hate the drive it takes about 4 hours round trip 

The guys been on The sick fir 6 months ,now im quite willing to help someone in need but this guy has been getting paid sick pay and yesterday i saw him working for another employer , i did a bit of snooping and found out hes been doing this for some time

So i called it in to the management 

What would you have done

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Screw him! 

I would have done the same thing, why should you have to do extra work so some other guy can earn money under false pretenses.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

Im not sure if this is in the right forum ,but i want to winge about a fellow electrician 

Ive been covering for this other sparkie for about 6 months this time , i have to drive down to his area to do his work , i hate the drive it takes about 4 hours round trip 

The guys been on The sick fir 6 months ,now im quite willing to help someone in need but this guy has been getting paid sick pay and yesterday i saw him working for another employer , i did a bit of snooping and found out hes been doing this for some time

What would you have done

Hmm... I would not have called in to the management.  Nor would I Have done any snooping prior to that to be perfectly honest. Whilst you undoubtedly have been inconvenienced by his antics, you also mentioned that you had just been offered a promotion and additional holidays so you have been well rewarded for going above and beyond, perhaps?

If I felt the moral obligation to do anything, which maybe you invited by digging deeper, It would be to let the guy know you saw him and advise him to resolve things ASAP OR you will have to report to management i.e. give him the chance to do the right thing.

You did ask after all!  

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

Next time get him working on video and you will have him by the balls for the rest of his career. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Happyhorn52 said:

Next time get him working on video and you will have him by the balls for the rest of his career. 

Yep, blackmail is the way to go always! :wink:

• Like 1

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Hmm... I would not have called in to the management.  Nor would I Have done any snooping prior to that to be perfectly honest. Whilst you undoubtedly have been inconvenienced by his antics, you also mentioned that you had just been offered a promotion and additional holidays so you have been well rewarded for going above and beyond, perhaps?

If I felt the moral obligation to do anything, which maybe you invited by digging deeper, It would be to let the guy know you saw him and advise him to resolve things ASAP OR you will have to report to management i.e. give him the chance to do the right thing.

You did ask after all!  

HK blues,   A perfect answer in my book, I think you got it spot on.  Going to the management and  grassing on somebody is unacceptable in my books.

:(

• Thanks 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Eddie1 said:

HK blues,   A perfect answer in my book, I think you got it spot on.  Going to the management and  grassing on somebody is unacceptable in my books.

I've covered up for the guy so many times that I have lost count , I've fixed his dangerous work on many an occasion , I told him last year that he would be best to find another employer , he was warned and cautioned but he chose to continue , this is not the first time that he has been moonlighting 

Viking
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, hk blues said:

You did ask after all!  

Its not something he did by mistake, he knew very well what he was doing so why feel sorry for him? He was taking advantage of his friends kindness and now its time for him to face the consequenses of his actions.

6 hours ago, Eddie1 said:

Normally I would agree with what you are saying but I think this guy really was asking for it.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Eddie1 said:

I would have confronted him and only gone to the management as a last resort. I also don`t like grasses.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, bastonjock said:

What would you have done

I seem to remember you writing that you had somebody covering for you whilst you were doing another job.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1