Friend robbed on Boracay and the power of Facebook

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

My friend was making the most of his last night on Boracay. We'd had a great night listening to a live band then headed to a quieter bar just down from Dmall.

Whilst there I saw a girl I knew from Puerto Galera. We had a good chat and a beer. She was interested in my mate but he got talking to another girl. As the night wore on she talked to me also then started showing me photos of her deceased husband. He was an American I think. She told us she'd nursed him for two years as he fought cancer. I thought she seamed decent enough.

The other girl I knew said she knew her and I saw them talking. She's a friend so putting 2 plus 2 together figured everything was OK.

My mate ended up leaving with the other girl and went back to his room where they finished off a bottle of wine. 

He woke in the morning to find she'd emptied his wallet and gone through his suitcase finding more money hidden and legged it. She'd also vomitted the wine all over the floor. 

When he told me I remember the girl from Puerto Galera saying she was a friend. A quick look on her Facebook and there she was. 

Her proper name, photos of her kids and also birthday cakes with her name on it. It turns out she lives in Calapan, has a little store and is friends of some of my friends. 

I've now got to decide what route to take this as my mate flies to the UK in 2 days.

Edited by Snowy79

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Snowy, you sure have an exciting life!  I guess your friend did not listen well when when you gave him that talk about scams? :89:

• Haha 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

I've now got to decide what route to take this as my mate flies to the UK in 2 days.

Keep you mate away from other women and send her a massage asking for what ever she took back, good luck in that though.

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

Tell the police+ shame her on Facebook, shouldn't let the tramp get away with it..

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Shes probably spent the money by now , the danger is that any confrontation could lead back to yourself .

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

Tell the police+ shame her on Facebook, shouldn't let the tramp get away with it..

Yes.  I agree a police report and shaming her on Facebook is appropriate.  Even if there is no positive outcome (i.e., you get some of the money back), there is an element of fear once she learns about the complaint.  It may help save the next "customer" who checks her profile on line and finds out what she did.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I don't mean this in a judgmental or moral way. Your friend made some poor choices that have expensive consequences. Hope he learned from it.

Joey G
Posted
Posted

How much did he lose... maybe it was worth it ???? But seriously... did he tell her it was his last night?  Did he think he getting lucky on the way out?  I'd leave it be, and chalk it up to a lesson learned. 

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Sorry to be harsh, but the old adage 'A Fool and His Money...' springs to mind.  

P.S. I've been that fool in the past so I'm in no position to point a finger! :whistling:

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Don't worry he was fully briefed on his stupidity. He had a safe in his room also but he's a complete technophobe. It's the second guy I know that this has happened to. The other one was in Sabang and the girl I knew pretty well. I put the word out on her and she's not been seen in over a year. 

For guys that have lived here you're probably aware that the girls work a circuit. Sabang, Angeles, Manila, Boracay and Subic. They all eventually reappear.  

Some appear as a new girlfriend or fiance of a sucker and try to blend in with the local decent girls. 

• Like 3