What type of area to go for long term success/ first timer?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, anabolic said:

yes excuse me old55, basically my dream scenario would be to rent/buy? a house eventually in the middle of nowhere, in a small province, not near any civilization , with one good woman, raising children, maybe an older vehicle for transportation, but this will obviously take some time I am brand new to the country. maybe I should just start in Laoag not Cebu ? What about San Fernando ? 

I agree with the others and Arizona that first travel around get a feel for different areas.

You say "not near any civilization". If you mean not near a city or large town that can be done. If you mean without any nearby people that is going to be very difficult.  

Have you any ideas location wise? Near the sea, or at elevation for cooler climate or perhaps a nice view? You want a farm or in the wood lands? 

To live in a rural area is nice but could become boring. I love being out in the Provences myself. It can be quiet and often the people living there are more open and kind. You have a great adventure ahead! 

• Like 2

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted

I have a Philippino wife who I met in the UK, so when over in Ph we always go to where my wife used to live and see family, so we are committed to living in Isabela which is an agricultural rural province. I have always lived in the country so it suits me but as others have said, there are very few bars, hotels or restaurants, Cagayan City which is a 40 minute drive from us has most of that sort of thing plus shopping malls & super markets, so we are not isolated but very few expats about and most entertainment is at our home or some one else's and family play an important part  of our social life. When we live in Ph on a more permanent basis I am going to make sure I have the best internet connection available as well as Sat TV so I don't get bored ! I think it is important to remember that if you want to meet a girlfriend/wife you are very likely to find she will want to live near to family but as others have said its up to you, there are so many great places what ever you want.  

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

I live 5 miles from a nice beach, a couple of miles from a small town, about 7 miles from a 'large' town (with a big supermarket), and about 12 miles from a big city.... with an immigration office, amongst its many facilities , along with several large malls. (Dagupan,  North Luzon) .

I have recently had our rural shack connected to PLDT Fibre internet , plus their landline, and I brought over , or have since bought all the gadgets one is expected to have in the 21st century.

I live here peacefully (most of the time) and quietly, with the Mrs, who I met on a dating site...and our 3 year-old.... and our niece. 

Don't feel at all isolated, and  have lovely family,  all around us.  :smile:

• Like 3
  • Love it 2

DirkSquirrel
Posted
Posted
On 3/15/2019 at 8:54 PM, graham59 said:

I have recently had our rural shack connected to PLDT Fibre internet , plus their landline, and I brought over , or have since bought all the gadgets one is expected to have in the 21st century.

hi, about that internet. i've got a house in alaminos that's not far from town - less than 10 minutes on a motorbike - and need to install internet. is it easy getting hooked up? i got one of those globe wifi anywhere things but they're basically rubbish. i need something reliable that comes in a cable. possible? i've searched online and not really got anywhere except for the address of the shop in town. thanks

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, DirkSquirrel said:

i've searched online and not really got anywhere except for the address of the shop in town. thanks

FYI my friend :thumbsup:

https://pldthome.com/contact

DirkSquirrel
Posted
Posted

thanks

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, DirkSquirrel said:

thanks

thumbs-up-homer.png here to help where we can :wink:

DirkSquirrel
Posted
Posted

last time i dealt with pdlt was in quezon city and they said it would take two weeks just to see whether they could install internet in my condo. even then there was no guarantee they would be able to. so i went to sky instead, which was not great, but they installed the next day. so i'm thinking they will be fussy about setting it up in what is basically a farmhouse.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, DirkSquirrel said:

last time i dealt with pdlt was in quezon city and they said it would take two weeks just to see whether they could install internet in my condo. even then there was no guarantee they would be able to. so i went to sky instead, which was not great, but they installed the next day. so i'm thinking they will be fussy about setting it up in what is basically a farmhouse.

We can but try But JFI, Sky does not seem to have a good name of late in this Area. Have you tried Fil Products? 

https://www.google.com/search?q=filproducts+dumaguete&oq=filproducts+dumaguete&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.9679j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

DirkSquirrel
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

We can but try But JFI, Sky does not seem to have a good name of late in this Area. Have you tried Fil Products? 

https://www.google.com/search?q=filproducts+dumaguete&oq=filproducts+dumaguete&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.9679j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

no, doesn't seem to be operating in pangasinan. sky was not great in the condo. at 9pm everyone gets home from dinner, gets online and the signal disappears