What type of area to go for long term success/ first timer?

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 3/15/2019 at 8:54 PM, graham59 said:

I live 5 miles from a nice beach, a couple of miles from a small town, about 7 miles from a 'large' town (with a big supermarket), and about 12 miles from a big city.... with an immigration office, amongst its many facilities , along with several large malls. (Dagupan,  North Luzon) .

I have recently had our rural shack connected to PLDT Fibre internet , plus their landline, and I brought over , or have since bought all the gadgets one is expected to have in the 21st century.

I live here peacefully (most of the time) and quietly, with the Mrs, who I met on a dating site...and our 3 year-old.... and our niece. 

Don't feel at all isolated, and  have lovely family,  all around us.  :smile:

I kinda wish that BigMac would have had your kind of luck. Good for you.:thumbsup:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, DirkSquirrel said:

at 9pm everyone gets home from dinner, gets online and the signal disappears

Unfortunately it seems to happen to all the providers, now the Schools are off we can expect some really Bad connections :56da632e94212_1(60):

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

For the past year or so, I have been using  a Huawei B315 LTE CPE WiFi router, with an external antenna, atop a 10m  bamboo pole (the antenna, that is).

This receives a phone signal from Smart, using one of their appropriate SIM cards.   It has so far been quite reliable, and sufficient for basic internet 'surfing'.

I will keep it as a back-up. 

We were just lucky, in that PLDT took it upon themselves to run one of their fibre cables along the  country road at the front of our shack. 

About 10m of cable, plus a 'free' modem and phone, and we were online, with an actual 27mb up and down, on their 20mb 'unlimited' plan. YouTube, streaming, etc... no problem.

Fingers crossed the service continues in that way.

• Like 1

DirkSquirrel
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, graham59 said:

Fingers crossed the service continues in that way.

nice one. sounds like you found a good spot. thanks for the info

• Like 2

DirkSquirrel
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, graham59 said:

with an external antenna

one more thing... is this antenna included or separate? any specific type? cheers

graham59
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, DirkSquirrel said:

one more thing... is this antenna included or separate? any specific type? cheers

This antenna was included as part of a package supplied by a local guy. It was done while I was back in the UK, so I will let you know the make of the antenna after I take it down for 'servicing'  (new pole :biggrin:) during the next week or so... but it's one of those white box types, which have to be pointed towards the nearest signal mast.  :thumbsup:

i am bob
Posted
Posted

First..  internet..  it matters where you live....  Every company is going to have good or bad connections...   Ask the potential neighbors how their service is..

Ok, now back on topic..  lots of our members live not too far from the Greater Manila Area...  Others in Cebu...  Dumagutti...(ok, I can't remember how to spell it).  I'm seeing more and more expats in the Davao area...  I'm in Toril (part of Davao but a small town outside the main) and there's probably a couple dozen here..  same with Mintal and Calinan...  A short ferry ride (minutes) puts you into Samal which is reknown for it's resorts..  And, yes, a bridge to Davao City is supposed to start this year...  Am I saying this is the best place to live?  Danged if I know...  But I love it here and do does most others I've talked to....  It's not like most other places in the Philippines - and I don't mean because we are under martial law...  Lol!  Seriously, I feel safer here than I did in Cebu...  Considering this is the home of the President (met him...  Great guy in my opinion) and possibly the next president (his daughter and the current mayor), the city is building fast but the outlying areas are still great place to live...  And I think it's a great place to start...  If you want, travel after and try other places...   Others I know have and either met their wives elsewhere or, in the case of single guys,, end up coming back here...   So many beautiful women, it's scary!  Ok, beer number 7 talking maybe?  Hehe!

• Like 3

DirkSquirrel
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, graham59 said:

This antenna was included as part of a package supplied by a local guy. It was done while I was back in the UK, so I will let you know the make of the antenna after I take it down for 'servicing'  (new pole :biggrin:) during the next week or so... but it's one of those white box types, which have to be pointed towards the nearest signal mast.  :thumbsup:

cool. thanks. that would be a big help

• Like 1

DirkSquirrel
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, i am bob said:

Ask the potential neighbors how their service is..

what neighbours..?

i am bob
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, DirkSquirrel said:

what neighbours..?

Hehe!  If you want that remote?  You won't be having internet...