How does the Ya-ya (live in maid) system work?

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, hk blues said:

That seems such a sad perspective to have on people - maybe too much of a generalisation? 

So far it has been apt in our dealings with the people out here in the province, if you search for other posts made by me you can see why, I only told part of the story.

RBM
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, hk blues said:

For some it may be a case of we can so we will i.e. if they can afford it why not?  

It's not for me, I simply don't want all the baggage that can come with helpers

Must agree here, so many have issues with helpers. We told ours to leave after 2 years, Appears in time many act as ours did, think they control situation and just to dam nosey.

Now we have one boy whom works 1 day a week an same with a house helper, both gone by 5pm. Zero advances or friends allowed in.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, RBM said:

, think they control situation and just to dam nosey.

I guess I am a lucky man on the one we have here now, been here just coming up 1 year, has 2 half days off never has friends or Family drop by. Goes home about  once per month on Average. So for once no complaints. Whilst she takes her orders/instructions from "Azon" she is under no illusions who IS the Boss as she knows who really pays the wages :whistling:

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

So far it has been apt in our dealings with the people out here in the province, if you search for other posts made by me you can see why, I only told part of the story.

I don't doubt it, but I also wonder how much of the problem is related to people being treated in a particular way and therefore behaving accordingly?  I simply cannot believe that all people in the province are liars and see kindness as a weakness.  

RBM
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, hk blues said:

That seems such a sad perspective to have on people - maybe too much of a generalisation? 

Unfortunately after being in a position of employing 15 locals I would agree with One more 51

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, RBM said:

Unfortunately after being in a position of employing 15 locals I would agree with One more 51

I don't have the experience you have to dispute, but it does seem unlikely that all are liars and see kindness as a weakness.  If so, what a sad indictment of people here in the Philippines.  

• Like 2

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Yes, I was naive about it as well, the keyword being WAS.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

Yes, I was naive about it as well, the keyword being WAS.

Genuine question - if you were labelled as such from Day 1 without ever having met the person, how would you feel and react/behave?  

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Now having been bitten I don't trust any of them, employees that is.

• Hmm thinking 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

But having said that, let me add that I was in a management role in my working life  and it payed to be cautious of everyone then, that most of the time people would take advantage of me given the chance, they never got that chance.