Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
boyee

How does the Ya-ya (live in maid) system work?

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I have a kid - we're training him to become our helper! :tongue: 

Best of luck there then :popcorn:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, boyee said:

say it is very expensive because its a specialized skill.

Yes, they are very specialized in the worst Filipino driving habits that they picked up while getting their experience driving a trike! :shock_40_anim_gif:  IMHO the professional drivers are the worst, at least in my area.

Resume

- I can make a u-turn on any street, no matter the width or traffic

- I will double/triple park, blocking all traffic, until you are ready to leave

- If you are in a hurry, I will counterflow against the traffic and if we are not killed, you will be on time.

etc., etc.  :hystery:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

My experience is that my partner knows what she is dealing with, pure and simple, and has explained it to me like this:-

Once you show kindness to them they think you are weak and will take advantage of the situation, and it has happened here in our household.

But my partner was right when she said "When they are telling you something they are lying, and when you are nice to them they see you as being weak".

This may very well be true because I have seen the same behaviour among immigrants to my country. I just wish my government could see it too :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

But if this is the case, I would definitely do without a helper. I dont want to be like that to people working for me, then a rather do it by myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Who hands the salary to the helpers?  If it is you, try giving it to your wife and let her pay them.  It is important to establish the line of authority.  I would probably also inform the helpers, "My wife makes all decisions as to who gets hired and fired.  If you have a complaint, discuss it with her."  

I dont live in the Philippines yet but my original question was more about why the helpers I talked to had more problems with the females in the house than the males.

I have seen it many times that hierarchy is something much more important in Philippines, than it is where I come from. For those who are born and raised in a society its a normal thing but its very hard for me to adapt to that. I treat everyone the same, rich or poor does not matter to me. Most often it is the woman in the relationship that is coming from the Philippines and they are more used to that your staff should not be treated too good because of what others have said about this topic. Maybe thats why the helpers have more trouble with the females than the men? Ofcourse there is 2 sides of this and I realise that I would probably not been met the same way if they tought that I was poor. I do love the way I am treated when we are there :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Viking said:

This may very well be true because I have seen the same behaviour among immigrants to my country. I just wish my government could see it too :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

But if this is the case, I would definitely do without a helper. I dont want to be like that to people working for me, then a rather do it by myself.

Yes, because in the end I am paying for someone that I am doing their work, because they are so dumb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, boyee said:

I think most of us who grew up in a Western culture would agree but I wouldn't travel to India and try and convince people that the CASTE system is wrong.  Even if, well it just is.  Likewise when I'm in the PH I try to put my values aside a little and do as the Romans do.  We shall see how that works out for me when I move.  lol

I agree to some extent, I guess we have to compromise.

7 hours ago, hk blues said:

I think you've hit the nail on the head - some things are wrong because they are wrong but there is no point trying to convince people who cannot see that.  The evidence is in front of them, the employees do not perform and constantly need managed - who would have thought it! I prefer not to do as the Romans do though when something isn't working, I'll swim against the tide. 

 

I am with you on this one even if I realise that my chance to succeed is slim at best, hahahaha

My gf often say, thats how it always been done and my reply to that use to be, because they dont know any other way to do it. We can show them other ways and MAYBE some will listen some day. If no changes we would still live in Caves.

You can oly explain to those willing to listen and let the others do it their way. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Viking said:

I dont live in the Philippines yet but my original question was more about why the helpers I talked to had more problems with the females in the house than the males.

I have seen it many times that hierarchy is something much more important in Philippines, than it is where I come from. For those who are born and raised in a society its a normal thing but its very hard for me to adapt to that. I treat everyone the same, rich or poor does not matter to me. Most often it is the woman in the relationship that is coming from the Philippines and they are more used to that your staff should not be treated too good because of what others have said about this topic. Maybe thats why the helpers have more trouble with the females than the men? Ofcourse there is 2 sides of this and I realise that I would probably not been met the same way if they tought that I was poor. I do love the way I am treated when we are there :thumbsup:

So you say that you are willing to pay someone to do work, even though they cannot do the work allocated to them, so you do the work for them instead? Sir you are a better person than me, because in the end it is like getting a dog that barks at you, no different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

Yes, because in the end I am paying for someone that I am doing their work, because they are so dumb.

Maybe they are not soo dumb then, if you pay them and do their work :tiphat:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which is why the three strike rule comes into play.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

So you say that you are willing to pay someone to do work, even though they cannot do the work allocated to them, so you do the work for them instead? Sir you are a better person than me, because in the end it is like getting a dog that barks at you, no different.

Definitely not, I Think I would be better of doing the job from the start myself without anyone else involved. I am talking about jobs in my household now. Ofcourse its a diffent thing if running a Company.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...