How does the Ya-ya (live in maid) system work?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

A couple of weeks ago one of the emplyees approached us saying he wanted to be a delivery driver for the product, he had been with us for a while so we thought we would give him a go. So we went through the process of getting him his licence to drive the small van, even payed some money to the local authorities to fast track his application, so after getting his licence and doing well for a week he approached the boss and asked for an advance of pay, 2500php to be exact, which was given to him. Last night was pay day so we were expecting some repayment from him as to date we have falked out 8000php to him for getting his licence and the advance in pay. When he didn't show up for the first delivery this morning we went to the barracks to see what was going on, his fellow workers told us that after he got paid last night he packed up all his belongings and left.

Also this morning three other workers left no warning, nothing just left, after breakfast of course. The word on the street is that they have gone to work for the competition, because the competition pays more, which I suppose is a dangled carrot not to be missed, but they didn't work out the maths of the situation, that here they get free board and free meals, with the competition there isn't any of that.

Unfortunately, money talks and people often don't see beyond the headline figure

• Like 2

Mick
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have been travelling around luzon doing on job training for a large Internet provider here, now I'm not saying all are the same, as i have employed hundreds of Philipinos in Africa and the Middle East, with only a few bad apples (dodgy CVs to say the least)  here a different story, they have a way to work, and won't listen to advice, I explain and show this is the quickest and most cost effective way, and also quality wise, but I now understand there way, they will concrete a road, for example, only to have to dig up again the next day (we have 36 hour opening permits) , this creates continuity of work, by prolonging the install, also doubles the material from there "preferred supplier" , I did try to raise this to board level, but even they know they way its done, and I was told to let it go, let them do it there way, its less hassle, but of course, this has a knock on effect to the user paying higher prices and poor QS and down time later. 

Edited by Mick

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I crushed my femur and cracked my pelvis a couple years back...  I was living by myself and needed a katabung to keep the house clean...  Cook my meals...  I ended up hiring the cousin of 2 girls I knew...  She lived a 4 hour bus ride away so she was a live-in...  20 years old, gorgeous with a hard body that would shame most... How do I know?  I was a very bad boss...  Yeah, that bad...  Even with the way things went between us, she still worked her butt off without having to be told anything...  I knew she wanted children so it wasn't a final relationship with her...  Ok, I'm a dummy...  When I started seeing someone else, she got jealous and did a few things that pissed me off and I fired her...  Nothing to me but she got into fights online with my new gf...  Sometimes I wonder if I should have just stayed with her...  Oh well...  Both her and that gf are gone...  And I'm with someone else now...  Though we are still friends on Facebook..  lol!

Anyway, her pay was p3200 a month plus room and board...  No 13th month...  No SSS....   No PhilHealth..  now they are a requirement...  As to pay?  Google it and you will find there is a minimum pay per month depending on where you are...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

We watched the movie "Roma" on Netflix.  While it takes place in Mexico, there is an uncanny similarity with the live-in maids situation in the Philippines.  Try to see this movie if you get the opportunity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

boyee
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, i am bob said:

She lived a 4 hour bus ride away so she was a live-in...  20 years old, gorgeous with a hard body that would shame most... How do I know?  I was a very bad boss...  Yeah, that bad...

I AM BOB....   I just want to hear more........

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted
On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 2:43 AM, hk blues said:

That seems such a sad perspective to have on people - maybe too much of a generalisation? 

So true 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

In 2004 we hired my GF's mom as housekeeper/nanny, and cook. She couldn't read or write,which in my mind was surprising. She's still with us today and still can't read or write. We tried to teach her and even hired a tutor, but she either can't get it or won't try. We are happy with her though.:56da64af91f92_23_11_602:

• Like 1

BobP
Posted
Posted
On 3/20/2019 at 10:43 AM, JJReyes said:

We watched the movie "Roma" on Netflix.  While it takes place in Mexico, there is an uncanny similarity with the live-in maids situation in the Philippines.  Try to see this movie if you get the opportunity.

Very well done movie. I second JJ's opinion. See this movie if you can.  Maybe not for everyone, but very well done.

Reboot
Posted
Posted
On 3/20/2019 at 9:36 AM, i am bob said:

I crushed my femur and cracked my pelvis a couple years back...  I was living by myself and needed a katabung to keep the house clean...  Cook my meals...  I ended up hiring the cousin of 2 girls I knew...  She lived a 4 hour bus ride away so she was a live-in...  20 years old, gorgeous with a hard body that would shame most... How do I know?  I was a very bad boss...  Yeah, that bad...  Even with the way things went between us, she still worked her butt off without having to be told anything...  I knew she wanted children so it wasn't a final relationship with her...  Ok, I'm a dummy...  When I started seeing someone else, she got jealous and did a few things that pissed me off and I fired her...  Nothing to me but she got into fights online with my new gf...  Sometimes I wonder if I should have just stayed with her...  Oh well...  Both her and that gf are gone...  And I'm with someone else now...  Though we are still friends on Facebook..  lol!

Anyway, her pay was p3200 a month plus room and board...  No 13th month...  No SSS....   No PhilHealth..  now they are a requirement...  As to pay?  Google it and you will find there is a minimum pay per month depending on where you are...

You poor guy. Alone. Injured. Then taken advantage of in your state by a shameless seductress! :hystery:

But tell us more. :popcorn: