2 Way Translation Devices

PaulB
Posted
Posted

Dearest Fonts of ALL Knowledge

I am a bit of a gadget man and have been researching 2 way translation devices. There seem to be many options, not so many with Tagalog but a few. I was wondering if anyone out there had ever purchased one of these devices and if so which one and how good was it? 

I have seen hat some of these devices require WiFi to operate or connect to your phone through an App.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who may have dabbled in this area. I am tempted but would rather seek first hand feedback then flush my money down the 5 star CR!

Paul

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, PaulB said:

Dearest Fonts of ALL Knowledge

I am a bit of a gadget man and have been researching 2 way translation devices. There seem to be many options, not so many with Tagalog but a few. I was wondering if anyone out there had ever purchased one of these devices and if so which one and how good was it? 

I have seen hat some of these devices require WiFi to operate or connect to your phone through an App.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who may have dabbled in this area. I am tempted but would rather seek first hand feedback then flush my money down the 5 star CR!

Paul

Google has a translation app (also via web browser) that, according to a young lady I know, does a pretty good job for translating both words and simple phrases. There’s also a speaker icon in lower left corner where the word(s) are shown - press it to hear the pronunciation. Note - in the list of languages Tagalog is shown as Filipino and Bisaya is listed Cebuano. 

IMHO there is no need to carry around a separate device if you already have smart phone or tablet with a data / WiFi connection. 

Edited by Gator
  • Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I haven’t had much luck with Bisaya (cebuano) and Google Translate.  It really doesn’t like abbreviations or mis-spellings or lack of punctuation.  And trying to use it to translate Facebook posts is often more annoying than useful in my experience.

Maybe the Tagalog (Filipino) translations are better?

• Like 2

Billoncho
Posted
Posted

I live in Taiwan and I've used Google Translate for many years. Recently I tried a new app a friend recommended called Translate Voice. It's even better than Google's. Using it at shops with Chinese, many have asked me to show them the app on the PlayStore and switched too. It has Filipino and I tried it with my wife and it works.  I also just started using Alan Millet's Learn Tagalog website. 

Translate Voice.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
PaulB
Posted
Posted

Dear All

I succumbed and bought a Travis Touch Two Way Translation Device and it is awesome. I have no affiliation with the company but to be honest I spent the first 4 hours doing all rude words and swear words and now it is helping me learn Tagalog faster then the 20 books and 10 CD's I have. I can't wait to be back home to Isabela in May so I can use it daily. Living here in the UAE it has also helped me out to understand some Arabic too. 

Other devices are available also but I am very happy with this one.

Just thought I would let you know.

Paul

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, PaulB said:

now it is helping me learn Tagalog

Great so pleased you found an answer, now all we need is one for Visayas. Ilonggo and Oh there are so many more  of these language issues that we can get in our own Locale. True Cebuano would be nice But.....................:sad:

• Like 1

PaulB
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Great so pleased you found an answer, now all we need is one for Visayas. Ilonggo and Oh there are so many more  of these language issues that we can get in our own Locale. True Cebuano would be nice But.....................:sad:

It has Cebuano.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Have you got a link to the device, I tried googling for it but no luck.