Exercise is a dirty word I know... but....

Joey G
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, PaulB said:

Ozemike

At 72 you should be looking to maintain muscle so I would prescribe an early morning, low weight,  Full body, HIIT training program every other day. This could be all over in 20 minutes. Buy a set of 10 to 20 kg dumbbells and either an inflatable exercise ball or bench and do the following:

- Dumbell Chest Press x 3 sets - 15 reps no rest, do one set then to next exercise below until both have 3 sets completed

- Dumbell Squats x 3 sets - 15 reps. As you have done chest set before the blood will flow from chest to legs making the heart pump

- Dumbell Curls x 3 sets - 15 reps, straight into 

-Dumbell alternate leg lunges x 3 sets - 15 reps (each leg). Again Curls is upper and lunge is lower so blood will move pumping heart

-Tricep dip using bench x 3 sets - 15 reps

- Shoulder press x 3 sets - 15 reps

- Finish with Ab crunch and one minute Ab Plank

This will work up a sweat, be over quickly, pump your heart and can be done alternate days.

OR - chill out and have a drink.

Just my advice and its free!!!! I am 54 and use the gym 5 days a week. Muscle burns fat all day and a High Intensity, Interval Training gets your system going better than a couple of hours walking. By the way, as I am still working, I used to make excuses that I had no time and I never went after work as too tired. My solution, get up an hour earlier and go to bed an hour earlier and now I am in the gym at 445am and out by 515am and it is OVER. I can't say I like the gym but I do LIKE the feeling that before most people have woken from their dreams of sleeping with the wife's cousin, I have finished my workout.

Paul

Dude... thats an excellent program... and if performed in the backyard outside after 9 in the morning, I'd say anyone doing this would be in better shape than 90% of the 1st worlds population. Throw in a 1-2 mile run after... and you could chill and drink all day :thumbsup:

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, OzeMike said:

One aspect of living in the Philippines I find a constant challenge is walking for excercise.. 

When I rented in Avida Towers in Cebu there was a excellent walking/jogging track through the garden beds around the towers. Plus a swimming pool. 

Moving to Dumaguete the first year I walked the boulevard before the sun got too hot. Have since moved to a small sub division further out of town in Talay and nearly every house has dogs straining on ropes tied to a tree or worse running loose in front of their owner's houses barking at you. It is not a nice walking environment! The main road outside is very busy traffic and diesel exhast wise (even face masks are challenged) with no pavements of course so not another good walking environment! :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Options..get up at sunrise and drive to the boulevard to walk.. not keen on the end of the day walking there as whilst cooler the buses and truck fumes are full bore.

I try to walk around town whenever I can which helps.  Anyone got a tread machine they want to sell? 

How do forum members manage exercising here in the Philippines? Particularily interested in members options living in Duma. 

Mike

There is a good aircon gym opposite the bell tower in town. Robinson's hardware has reasonably priced exercise machines.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

Robinson's hardware has reasonably priced exercise machines.

:shock_40_anim_gif: I think I will stay with my hand held exercises beer sori sori.jpg :whistling:

• Haha 4

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

:shock_40_anim_gif: I think I will stay with my hand held exercises beer sori sori.jpg :whistling:

you need a well balanced exercise for that Jack....1 bottle in each hand. :hystery:

• Love it 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, jimeve said:

you need a well balanced exercise for that Jack....1 bottle in each hand. :hystery:

I can do that Gisajob Yosser hughes.jpg :whistling:

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

If interested in this health topic, pull up the older thread of c. April 2015, "Don't Forget To Sweat a Little - Every Day ! ". Lots of shared input, examples, advice, etc.  

I'm in the tenth year of my latest regimen that I started at 60. IMO its the reason I maintain very good health and have never had to use any meds so far in my lifetime. Eat wisely. Spend some time researching (e.g. Youtube vids or med. info on the benefits of exercise, your gut biome, data on fasting regimens, etc.). Do what you can to preserve and prolong, or recover your good health.

Your body is pre-programmed by your human biology to respond. It has no choice. Rest and recovery periods are just as important as the exercise activities you choose.  If anything is sore, achy or painful..... let the body recover and rebuild it.... or avoid working that particular muscle until it has normalized.  When you are older or out of shape, the recovery takes longer, but is just as critical as the exercise itself if good health is your goal. When you achieve muscle, sinew and tendon adaption to the regular loads you're placing on them, you won't have any serious irritations. At least I don't. Your body will also adapt to and override most lactic acid burn when you make the muscle contract to the  point of failure if you train long enough. Your body chemistry ramps up and produces natural compounds that counter and alleviate many of the temporary problems it has to deal with. I only feel a mild, relaxed weariness for several hours the next day after a heavy lifting session. A long shower, a liter of Golden Eagle beer and the wife's 20 min. full body massage doesn't hurt, but even without those little niceties, the body's response is nearly the same for me.

During my stay in the Cold Land, I exercise heavy twice a week in a modern gym, using the treadmill or stat. bicycle for warm-up to get my pulse rate up and systems flushed and flexed  before lifting. For my half year in the tropics, I go to my 3rd rate local gym here and warm up with isotonics and slow calesthentics to loosen up and primary load, since I can do it on the 3rd floor outside balcony and watch the street life below while enjoying the breeze. At my P50/day joint, there is no air-con. Only young lads there. Both places are good for a 70 min. workout, which is about it when you are 70  I work every major muscle group with mostly compound exercises, some machines, some free weights depending upon whats available.  NO multiple sets. If you are warmed up, it only takes one.... taken to muscle contraction failure. Sometimes low weight - high rep. Other times, heavy weight -low rep.  You just have to take it to the point of failure to get 90% of the benefit. Very time efficient. The only exception is the inverted leg lift to get the pulse rate and lungs working briefly at max. 3 sets , working up to 400 or 500 pounds and pacing while my pulse rate drops and breathing returns to normal after each set. I feel its important to do this once a week at least. You feel really great afterwards. Gotta max it out regularly to stay healthy...... then a nice long, lazy respite.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do to stay active and healthy. If you don't use your body, entropy guarantees that will naturally degenerate as you age.  Gyms and other exercise methods are much cheaper than any medicines the pharmas can sell you, have no potential chemical side effects and prevent so much of what ails sedentary people today.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, OzeMike said:

One aspect of living in the Philippines I find a constant challenge is walking for excercise.. 

When I rented in Avida Towers in Cebu there was a excellent walking/jogging track through the garden beds around the towers. Plus a swimming pool. 

Moving to Dumaguete the first year I walked the boulevard before the sun got too hot. Have since moved to a small sub division further out of town in Talay and nearly every house has dogs straining on ropes tied to a tree or worse running loose in front of their owner's houses barking at you. It is not a nice walking environment! The main road outside is very busy traffic and diesel exhast wise (even face masks are challenged) with no pavements of course so not another good walking environment! :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Options..get up at sunrise and drive to the boulevard to walk.. not keen on the end of the day walking there as whilst cooler the buses and truck fumes are full bore.

I try to walk around town whenever I can which helps.  Anyone got a tread machine they want to sell? 

How do forum members manage exercising here in the Philippines? Particularily interested in members options living in Duma. 

Mike

Mike,  As we obviously know each other quite well I feel reasonably happy in suggesting that you just kinda continue with what you have been doing so far, maybe just a bit more regular.  Do some short but challenging walks around your home town (Valencia) as its quite 'hilly' there.  Continue going to the golf driving range, maybe twice a week?  Hitting  a couple of buckets of balls with help to keep some flexibility in your ageing body and if you go to the driving range with DaveWe  ( a fellow PEF member) you will get the extra exercise of climbing onto the clubhouse roof to retrieve his golf clubs from time to time.  That is where you will reap the benefit of the hill walks in Valencia,  it will build up your stamina for climbing up and down the ladder!!!!

:hystery::mocking::hystery:

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 2

OzeMike
Posted
Posted

Some good suggestions there Eddie.... that's what I will do.  Good point about going to the driving range more often... with Dave particularily, as my flexibility will definitely improve climbing the club house roof to retieve his golf clubs from time to time....a well thought out suggestion mate.... thanks. ps to Dave W if your reading this please maintain that relaxed grip bud:6:

OzeMike
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

If interested in this health topic, pull up the older thread of c. April 2015, "Don't Forget To Sweat a Little - Every Day ! ". Lots of shared input, examples, advice, etc.  

I'm in the tenth year of my latest regimen that I started at 60. IMO its the reason I maintain very good health and have never had to use any meds so far in my lifetime. Eat wisely. Spend some time researching (e.g. Youtube vids or med. info on the benefits of exercise, your gut biome, data on fasting regimens, etc.). Do what you can to preserve and prolong, or recover your good health.

Your body is pre-programmed by your human biology to respond. It has no choice. Rest and recovery periods are just as important as the exercise activities you choose.  If anything is sore, achy or painful..... let the body recover and rebuild it.... or avoid working that particular muscle until it has normalized.  When you are older or out of shape, the recovery takes longer, but is just as critical as the exercise itself if good health is your goal. When you achieve muscle, sinew and tendon adaption to the regular loads you're placing on them, you won't have any serious irritations. At least I don't. Your body will also adapt to and override most lactic acid burn when you make the muscle contract to the  point of failure if you train long enough. Your body chemistry ramps up and produces natural compounds that counter and alleviate many of the temporary problems it has to deal with. I only feel a mild, relaxed weariness for several hours the next day after a heavy lifting session. A long shower, a liter of Golden Eagle beer and the wife's 20 min. full body massage doesn't hurt, but even without those little niceties, the body's response is nearly the same for me.

During my stay in the Cold Land, I exercise heavy twice a week in a modern gym, using the treadmill or stat. bicycle for warm-up to get my pulse rate up and systems flushed and flexed  before lifting. For my half year in the tropics, I go to my 3rd rate local gym here and warm up with isotonics and slow calesthentics to loosen up and primary load, since I can do it on the 3rd floor outside balcony and watch the street life below while enjoying the breeze. At my P50/day joint, there is no air-con. Only young lads there. Both places are good for a 70 min. workout, which is about it when you are 70  I work every major muscle group with mostly compound exercises, some machines, some free weights depending upon whats available.  NO multiple sets. If you are warmed up, it only takes one.... taken to muscle contraction failure. Sometimes low weight - high rep. Other times, heavy weight -low rep.  You just have to take it to the point of failure to get 90% of the benefit. Very time efficient. The only exception is the inverted leg lift to get the pulse rate and lungs working briefly at max. 3 sets , working up to 400 or 500 pounds and pacing while my pulse rate drops and breathing returns to normal after each set. I feel its important to do this once a week at least. You feel really great afterwards. Gotta max it out regularly to stay healthy...... then a nice long, lazy respite.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do to stay active and healthy. If you don't use your body, entropy guarantees that will naturally degenerate as you age.  Gyms and other exercise methods are much cheaper than any medicines the pharmas can sell you, have no potential chemical side effects and prevent so much of what ails sedentary people today.  

Appreciate your detailed reply... a lot of good information and advice. I will look up that post from Aoril 2015 for more ideas. 

Many thanks:thumbsup:

OzeMike
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jimeve said:

I think Jack needs to keep the other hand for another exercise :whistling:

• Haha 1