TSA Pre-Check and/or Global Entry

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Does anyone have information on TSA Pre-Check and/or Global Entry?   The first allows for a speedy processing through departure security.  The second avoids going through Immigrations and Customs.  You insert your passport into a machine kiosk.  The machine scans your face (biometrics).  Once approved, a piece of paper Is produced to give security and you are free to leave the airport.  The program is also available to passport holders from Great Britain, Canada and several other countries.  

Anyone encountered difficulties?

Heeb
Posted
Posted

I recently did the Pre-Check, it was very easy, just go online and fill out the application on the TSA website and pick an appointment date. I think it was like 80 dollars.

• Thanks 1

KC813
Posted
Posted

With Global Entry you also automatically get Pre-ck on flights within the US.  If you are still in the rat race and traveling frequently into and around the US, GE is well worth the $100. 

Register online, schedule an interview and appointment to capture your biometrics.  If you are out of the US when you register, now they let you do the appt during your next entry.  I saw the signs for this when I came thru LAX last week.

BUT, if you only going to the US 1-2 times a year, probably not worth the hassle. 

Many airports used for entering the US has passport kiosks for citizens, sort of like the e-gates you are seeing in Ph & other countries.  They are almost as fast as the Global Entry kiosks.

Also, there is a US passport app that you can use that will speed you thru entry.  I’ve never seen it in use, but I have heard good talk about the app.

Joey G
Posted
Posted

We applied and got tentative approval within a few weeks.  $100 each. Depending where and when you land (in the US) it could save you some time and hassles. Plus you get the benefit of TSA Pre any time you fly (using a Known Traveler Number/KTA to add to your reservation) comes with it....  but, not all airlines participate... so there is never guaranteed you'll get TSA Pre. Our "interview" for final approval for GE and getting a card is 16 April... will report back on how that goes.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry

• Thanks 1

RubberChicken
Posted
Posted

Global Entry holders are large enough that occasionally the non-GE line is faster. If you have a problem at the GE kiosk you still get sent to a live official. Kiosk misread a letter on my passport- how I know. Speaking personally if I only use it once it is worth $100. Certainly multiple times very worth it. 

Because of U.S consumer protection laws (you paid for an enhanced service) I believe they still move you ahead of non-GE holders if their is a paperwork problem or you are forced in a single line for all people entering because the GE system is shut down.

So it is a imperfect $100 tool that increases odds of less aggravation departing and entering U.S. 

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the information.  We are waiting for the arrival of our new (renewed) passports and thereafter, apply for Global Entry.  We have been  getting TSA Pre-Check boarding passes possibly because of our frequent travel.  The TSA Pre-Check even appeared on our boarding passes departing from Manila and Mexico City.   RubberChicken is right.  Paying $100 even for one time use is worth it.

As part of the renewal request, we also asked for new US passport cards.  I don't plan driving in countries like the Philippines.  Leaving our drivers license at home, the US passport cards serves as a valid ID.  The size Is similar to a drivers license.