bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Hehe , i used to test the guns for our navy , we had 4.5 inch on the foredeck

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

After visiting the Battleship Missouri at Pearl Harbor,  I wondered how her 16 inch guns could hit anything.   The instruments in the fire control room for targeting were mechanical calculators.  

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

After visiting the Battleship Missouri at Pearl Harbor,  I wondered how her 16 inch guns could hit anything.   The instruments in the fire control room for targeting were mechanical calculators.  

The splash was big enough that you probably didn't need a direct hit.

• Like 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Thats how things were done before the computers arrived. Would love to visit a ship like that some day :thumbsup:

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, JJReyes said:

I seem to remember s sci fi movie , where all of the modern ships got destroyed and they had to use an old battleship , possibly the Missouri , and to fire the guns they needed all of the old crew to operate the fire station , the young officers of the modern navy had not a clue

• Like 1

Billoncho
Posted
Posted

A guy on our boat almost got a request chit all the way through for a deck gun for our sub. Would love to have seen the XO's face when it arrived. Too bad someone caught on at the last minute.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

You don't need a big gun if you have an arm like Randy Johnson. :dance:

• Haha 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Viking said:

That's how things were done before the computers arrived. Would love to visit a ship like that some day :thumbsup:

So would I Viking.  Although I did have an opportunity to see USS IOWA BB-61 completed drydocked.  My 1st question was.....how the hell can this thing float with so much armored steel below the waterline.  I was completely blown away.  She is now a floating museum at Los Angeles, CA by the way.

Anyway, here is a black and white USN training video about the 16" guns: 

PS -- I still have a lot of respect of ancient mariners sailing the unknown beyond the horizon.  Men of steel and wooden vessels.  You give them a shield and sword, it becomes an awesome warship -- like the fierce Vikings!  Respectfully Jake 

• Like 1
  • Love it 1