Upcoming Internet connectivity options

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

https://techcrunch.com/2019/02/27/watch-onewebs-first-six-global-internet-satellites-launch-today/

In a few years there will be 650 of these in low earth orbit...affordable high speed low lag broadband anywhere in the world with a satellite link. 

Cheap terminals: 

https://spacenews.com/wyler-claims-breakthrough-in-low-cost-antenna-for-oneweb-other-satellite-systems/

one-web-overview-for-future-sat-africa-9-638.jpg57915b8675679.image.jpg

Might end up being a good option for those out in the underserved provinces.

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

The low orbit, many satellite concept has been talked about for years.  I did not know it had gotten to the testing stage, interesting.

I’m still not clear about the ground station part though, It would need a receive and transmit antenna but they couldn’t use a dish unless it was a motorised tracking one  and they’re really expensive.

Maybe the satellites are low enough and close enough that the ground stations can use Omni directional (or something close to that like a pair of 90 degree crossed dipoles over a plane reflector).

But cheap is a relative term, an antenna with receiver and transmitter and down converter (to reduce cable signal loss) plus the modem-router in the house isn’t going to be cheap, I would expect several thousand dollars set up, even if the monthly fees are cheaper than existing satellite internet.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Low earth orbit internet service will be reality soon. And there are multiple vendors competing to provide that service including SpaceX. The benefit of LEO is low latency and higher bandwidth. These solutions typically use micro satellites around the size of a loaf of bread.

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

We used to have satellite broadband at work because there wasn't enough landlines to the site. It didn't like rainy days.

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Gary D said:

We used to have satellite broadband at work because there wasn't enough landlines to the site. It didn't like rainy days.

My Cignal TV reception is sketchy during heavy downpours. Maybe the same type of problem?:89::rain_80_anim_gif: 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

My Cignal TV reception is sketchy during heavy downpours. Maybe the same type of problem?:89::rain_80_anim_gif: 

Have to agree, even our G-Sat fails in Heavy rain

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Have to agree, even our G-Sat fails in Heavy rain

Jack. Is G-Sat better than Cignal,if you know? I only have Cignal because it's the best of the worst. If this is considered off topic please PM me. Thanks.:biggrin:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Arizona Kid said:

Jack. Is G-Sat better than Cignal,if you know? I only have Cignal because it's the best of the worst. If this is considered off topic please PM me. Thanks.:biggrin:

:89: No i don't think it is off Topic but then............................what can I sayWho knows (dave (1).jpg G-Sat is Good but the programmes can be iffy, The actual signal is Brilliant when good and is not off for Long whenever it is off. The beauty of it is that it is a pay as you go service topped up each month by card and text, so if you are away for periods you don't pay ( unlike a tied in contract) Now mine is Pinoy_SAT which has moved away from Globe ( who own and run G_Sat) so now I am on 99 peso per month BUT and there is always a But EH? I only get 20 channels and all mainly News and Philippine  programmes, there are a couple of Film channels but I keep it for the Ladies so they are Happy. 

Member @OzeMikeis the one to ask as he has recently gone to Cignal from G_sat and he may be able to tell you more about the pro's and Con's of Both :wink:

• Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:popcorn: While on this subject I will add that I am on Smart-Bro Antenna Service for Internet connection and that can be affected when we have a Good and Nasty Low pressure rain and in Typhoons ( Whilst we don't get the full blast But.....) All in all I think the  Antenna is a better bet than a satellite service JMHO here Guys and Gals :smile:

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, earthdome said:

These solutions typically use micro satellites around the size of a loaf of bread.

Cube sats?  Like those launched by various HAM radio groups and some educational institutions?

I did read somewhere that they're working on cube sats that can be interlinked (sort of like space lego blocks).