Upcoming Internet connectivity options

OzeMike
Posted
Posted

I prefer Cignal to G-sat mainly because it's ONESports channel shows the weekly PGA golf touraments. We use to have Fil Products were we lived before which is by far the best value and has all the channels under the sun for just P420 a month (but not PGA golf!) but where we are in Talay now we can't get it.

So I use Cignal HD box prepaid P1,000 per month to get additional channels...incidentaly we found we could use the G-Sat dish for Cignal without problems. I agree with Peter prepaid is handy for those times you are away for a lengthy period as you can just buy a card when you return. 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OzeMike said:

. I agree with Peter

EEEEEr that isJack to those who I don't know personally except JGf who apparently can call me what he wants :hystery: :wink:

• Haha 1

OzeMike
Posted
Posted

Sorry Jack.... I was being too formal missed the son off Peterson:tiphat:

I have duly gone to stand in the corner for my clumsiness:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 3/22/2019 at 9:33 AM, earthdome said:

Low earth orbit internet service will be reality soon. And there are multiple vendors competing to provide that service including SpaceX. The benefit of LEO is low latency and higher bandwidth. These solutions typically use micro satellites around the size of a loaf of bread.

I don't know how much the LEO mesh network micro sats for internet would be effected by rain/weather. They orbit at around 200 miles rather than in geo synchronous orbit at 22k miles out and don't require a satellite dish. This technology is closer to that of cell phones than geo synchronous satellites. The cell tower just happens to be moving by in orbit 200 miles up rather than passing by as you travel on the road.

How much are cell phones affected by rain/storms?

A typical cell phone can be used as far as 22 miles from a cell tower at ground level. With these micro sats the signal is going up/down approximately 200 miles. So the sender/receiver don't have to be that much more stronger/sensitive than a cell phone and most of the distance would not be effected by weather, only the first 7.5 miles from ground level since thunderstorms max out at 7.5 miles up.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

I find it very interesting that space communications technology is providing a more global and more real time service, especially in the remote areas.  However, I do have concern that the conglomerates, operated by powerful companies in the Philippines would be the bottleneck once again, in spite of the improvements in orbital satellites.   

Gary D
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, earthdome said:

I don't know how much the LEO mesh network micro sats for internet would be effected by rain/weather. They orbit at around 200 miles rather than in geo synchronous orbit at 22k miles out and don't require a satellite dish. This technology is closer to that of cell phones than geo synchronous satellites. The cell tower just happens to be moving by in orbit 200 miles up rather than passing by as you travel on the road.

How much are cell phones affected by rain/storms?

A typical cell phone can be used as far as 22 miles from a cell tower at ground level. With these micro sats the signal is going up/down approximately 200 miles. So the sender/receiver don't have to be that much more stronger/sensitive than a cell phone and most of the distance would not be effected by weather, only the first 7.5 miles from ground level since thunderstorms max out at 7.5 miles up.

It's the wavelength of the signal that is the determining factor rather than distance and signal strength. As the wavelength approaches the size of the raindrops the signal starts to be absorbed. Increase the power and you just get warmer rain.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

It's the wavelength of the signal that is the determining factor rather than distance and signal strength. As the wavelength approaches the size of the raindrops the signal starts to be absorbed. Increase the power and you just get warmer rain.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Reboot
Posted
Posted
On 3/20/2019 at 12:41 PM, GeoffH said:

The low orbit, many satellite concept has been talked about for years.  I did not know it had gotten to the testing stage, interesting.

I’m still not clear about the ground station part though, It would need a receive and transmit antenna but they couldn’t use a dish unless it was a motorised tracking one  and they’re really expensive.

Maybe the satellites are low enough and close enough that the ground stations can use Omni directional (or something close to that like a pair of 90 degree crossed dipoles over a plane reflector).

But cheap is a relative term, an antenna with receiver and transmitter and down converter (to reduce cable signal loss) plus the modem-router in the house isn’t going to be cheap, I would expect several thousand dollars set up, even if the monthly fees are cheaper than existing satellite internet.

There are electronic tracking antennas now. I believe the same basic principle behind advanced military radars.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 3/23/2019 at 5:48 AM, GeoffH said:

Cube sats?  Like those launched by various HAM radio groups and some educational institutions?

I did read somewhere that they're working on cube sats that can be interlinked (sort of like space lego blocks).

These sats are a bit more than cube sized. They weigh about 150 kilos each. But that's a lot smaller than the school bussed sized ones in geosynchronous orbit.

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted
On 3/23/2019 at 3:38 PM, Gary D said:

These use Ku band. 

http://www.tech-faq.com/ku-band.html

Less vulnerable to rain than other freqs like the Ka band (longer wavelength).

https://www.intelsatgeneral.com/blog/ka-band-or-ku-band-which-is-better-for-you/

• Like 1