Retiring

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Don’t know if you know this but I am about to retire this coming Friday 29th March and after all the false starts ‘it’s going to happen’ , not like brexit.

Anyway after lots of reading on this forum it seems a few try and start new adventures in The Philippines and they seem to have a income coming in once they have first put lots of cash into there projects, yes there have been some who have lost a bob or two too.

So are there many who just go from day to day enjoying all that is thrown at them and not worrying about there investments if there is any and are just living of there savings and maybe there pension and living well, I know we are all different in what we may need to live on cash wise.

Myself I feel I have enough to last but only if I am not silly in investments and the fear of losing some of it , if you have a property and low bills and you are well in your health what else is there.

• Like 5

Viking
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Don’t know if you know this but I am about to retire this coming Friday 29th March and after all the false starts ‘it’s going to happen’ , not like brexit.

Anyway after lots of reading on this forum it seems a few try and start new adventures in The Philippines and they seem to have a income coming in once they have first put lots of cash into there projects, yes there have been some who have lost a bob or two too.

So are there many who just go from day to day enjoying all that is thrown at them and not worrying about there investments if there is any and are just living of there savings and maybe there pension and living well, I know we are all different in what we may need to live on cash wise.

Myself I feel I have enough to last but only if I am not silly in investments and the fear of losing some of it , if you have a property and low bills and you are well in your health what else is there.

Good luck with your retirement, wish I also had just one week to go:thumbsup:

I have also been thinking about all the cash some people invest in different kind of businesses in Philippines. Its often a high risk involved and me personally would prefer to just use that money for my own well-being. But I guess some people need something "important" to do to keep them happy. We are all different and we must choose what is right for yourself.

I am constantly trying to find a way to quit my job and move as soon as possible, biggest question is, how much cash is enough???? :89:

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, Viking said:

biggest question is, how much cash is enough???? :89:

That’s the million dollar question ,or in my case the few hundred thousand question.:thumbsup:

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, stevewool said:

I spent two years planning retirement and so far, the first five years have been splendid.  Preparations include working on actuarial tables to make sure there was sufficient retirement income plus reserves.  One item I did not anticipate is the true rate of inflation.  It is actually quite high in the United States which is the reason we will have to stay longer periods in low cost of living overseas destinations.  

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

80% of your annual income during your last three years of employment(average). The assumption is less expenses because the children are grown-up and financially independent. Your 30 years mortgage is assumed to have been paid off by this time. You are now 65 years old and qualified to receive Medicare after 40 quarters of contributions. The two problems in making projections are "rate of inflation" and "life expectancy."

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)

You can approach it from two different perspectives - make your income fit your lifestyle or vice versa.  The great unknown is how long are you going  to be around.  Inflation and interest rates impact of course, but tend to remain within a narrow range so can be reasonably estimated, unlike your lifespan.  Boyee's numbers look pretty close to me but again, what lifestyle differences are involved.  As an example, I am 54 but I have a 6 year-old kid so my financial needs are very different from most 54 year olds!  

The magic number is - as much as you can gather!  

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 4

boyee
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, JJReyes said:

80% of your annual income during your last three years of employment(average). The assumption is less expenses because the children are grown-up and financially independent. Your 30 years mortgage is assumed to have been paid off by this time. You are now 65 years old and qualified to receive Medicare after 40 quarters of contributions. The two problems in making projections are "rate of inflation" and "life expectancy."

This would be a very good gauge if you remain in the same area that you worked in.  80% makes sense because the cost of living does not change.  But I thought moving to the Philippines changes that cost of living i.e. you wouldn't need to save the same amount?