Retiring

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Shall we go for a walk I said to Ems yesterday after the long walk the previous day, ok she said but I have some things to do first, well the walk never happened.

Well why waiting for Emma I thought I would do a little gardening, pruning this and that moving a few items and it did look a lot better, then out came the paint brush to paint the fence panels, that was a none starter as the paint had dried up plus it was not enough, so I got the paint out to paint the walls , so no walking that day plus Emma came out and helped , but was this plan all along I did wonder, well the garden and the back of the house does look nice .

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, stevewool said:

Shall we go for a walk I said to Ems yesterday after the long walk the previous day, ok she said but I have some things to do first, well the walk never happened.

Well why waiting for Emma I thought I would do a little gardening, pruning this and that moving a few items and it did look a lot better, then out came the paint brush to paint the fence panels, that was a none starter as the paint had dried up plus it was not enough, so I got the paint out to paint the walls , so no walking that day plus Emma came out and helped , but was this plan all along I did wonder, well the garden and the back of the house does look nice .

We bought a Bahay Kubo  about 8 years ago. It's a pain in the ass and expensive to varnish it every year. Time to paint it. Maybe blue? Nobody can decide.:89:

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Well it’s nearly another week gone by and life being retired is still very good .

Over the last few days it’s been DIY between the rain showers I must add plus looking at other major jobs to do over the coming months on the house.

Today it suddenly hit me this retirement lark and what’s it all about, TIME , time to slow down , what’s the rush there is no rush like it use to be, sitting there having breakfast just enjoying the moment instead of rushing everything because of the word WORK, I am enjoying this new faze of my life and like anything I do ask Emma how she is too and so far we are matching in our thoughts.

Right it’s stop raining back out with the paint brush, only joking.

Spoiler
Spoiler

:thumbsup:

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Nickleback99
Posted
Posted (edited)

Congrats Steve!  Enjoyed reading your posts past few yrs and waiting for your Philippine retirement.  Now, as you see, nothing but time to do what ya wanna do and go where/when ya wanna go   As you related, the world is your oyster.  Best wishes on the rest of the journey!

Heeb - We are in same boat, except retired 19 months ago here about 85 mi north of Seattle after finishing up work in Asia, and bought our house (mortgage).  Take home is close to same as when working since also bought back my military time to add on to healthy pension.  Will work part time this fall and until we move to RP next Spring for a while or very long term.  Good appreciation here due to the Seattle influences on real estate, and since want a safety net and good long term investment for Asawa, going to rent out with a good property mngr. while gone.  I think you’ll the freedom from “the grind “ to be awesome, but I know I miss the team or “locker room” often. Wish you well and hope you’ll post later how it all turns out.  

Edited by Nickleback99
  • Like 1
  • Love it 1

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
On 3/23/2019 at 10:59 PM, Heeb said:

I'm considering letting my sister stay at the house so she can watch our cats, the problem is she's a complete mess, she's an unemployed ex flight attendant who can pound twice as many beers as I can, and we're talking double IPA's, none of the airlines will hire her anymore because she has two DUI's. The last time she watched our house for us when we went on vacation she burned the kitchen down, my one experience with renters was even worse. I'll probably go with the psycho sister plan.

What could possibly go wrong?  😂.  Hope your just joking....Good property manager and tenants worth the price of admission so to speak.  We rented our house before we bought it and treated it like our own before we even decided to buy.  Luckily prior owners’ PM was a good one and thoroughly checked us out before approving us.  Then it all ended well.   Wish you luck, but Hide the cases of IPA from the sis!

Heeb
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Nickleback99 said:

What could possibly go wrong?  😂.  Hope your just joking....Good property manager and tenants worth the price of admission so to speak.  We rented our house before we bought it and treated it like our own before we even decided to buy.  Luckily prior owners’ PM was a good one and thoroughly checked us out before approving us.  Then it all ended well.   Wish you luck, but Hide the cases of IPA from the sis!

I've moved on from the idea, I'm retiring at the end of next week and I'm really starting to have some clarity, my mom is coming out to stay with us for a few weeks to get away from my sister and dad, if she wants to stay here when we move to P.I. she can, if not we take the cats with us and use a management company like you said. We have a large shop in our back yard even though it's a regular city lot, the previous owner built it to use as a warehouse, he had a skateboard and scooter business, it has a mezzanine where I can store all of our household stuff.

A little irony about the previous owner here, he spent four years in federal prison for trying to sabotage the power grid by unbolting the tower legs of a DC power line that goes from a Bonneville power substation in the Dalles Oregon all the way to Los Angeles CA, he also wrote a fictional novel while in prison where eco-terrorists plot to take down the system starting with grid sabotage which sets off a chain reaction and leads to global chaos. The only reason I found out about this is I'm a grid operator for Bonneville power and my address was red flagged during my five year FBI background check last year.

• Like 2

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Heeb said:

I've moved on from the idea, I'm retiring at the end of next week and I'm really starting to have some clarity....

Heeb, Glad to hear your plan seems to be coming together.  Amazing what, And How ya learn about some prior owners or tenants at a place   Hope all goes well and you can make the move when you are ready   Part of me hates to leave the PAC NW, but also want to live the Dream awhile, live very well And travel on our decent monthly pension while also still saving money; can’t save much here right now without working again, which defeats purpose of retirement!   Hope to cross paths sometime.  Take care.  

Heeb
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Nickleback99 said:

Part of me hates to leave the PAC NW, but also want to live the Dream awhile, live very well And travel on our decent monthly pension while also still saving money; can’t save much here right now without working again, which defeats purpose of retirement!   Hope to cross paths sometime.  Take care

I love it here as well, except that on this side of the Cascades we have brutal winters, and we get lonely because we don't have kids or family in the area. I was spoiled being in the military and constantly going places and I still have that wanderlust, plus we are tired of working to have more and just getting older. The years are going by so fast now and we want to fill what's left with experiences. We will be headed out as soon as the dust settles and we have the place ready to rent, hopefully by late September or October. We will most likely end up in Subic but we are willing to give other places a look.

• Like 2

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Heeb said:

I love it here as well, except that on this side of the Cascades we have brutal winters, and we get lonely because we don't have kids or family in the area. I was spoiled being in the military and constantly going places and I still have that wanderlust, plus we are tired of working to have more and just getting older. The years are going by so fast now and we want to fill what's left with experiences. We will be headed out as soon as the dust settles and we have the place ready to rent, hopefully by late September or October. We will most likely end up in Subic but we are willing to give other places a look.

Well, if you are ever over this side (Bellingham, etc), let me know and be glad to buy ya a beer, visit, etc.   I'm looking forward to starting the journey sooner than later, just ned tie up lose ends here on few things and catch that non-stop out of Vancouver.   

• Like 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Nickleback99 said:

Well, if you are ever over this side (Bellingham, etc), let me know and be glad to buy ya a beer, visit, etc.   I'm looking forward to starting the journey sooner than later, just ned tie up lose ends here on few things and catch that non-stop out of Vancouver.   

Okay, I love Bellingham, thought about moving there years ago, I lived in Lynwood and then Smokey Point for about 7 years. Unfortunately I can't take a non-stop flight because Philippine Airlines doesn't take snub nosed dog breeds, we have a Shih Tzu.

• Like 1