Philippine Funerals and Gambling

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

I read a few news articles on the subject.  

:shock_40_anim_gif: I was told this some years ago and did not believe it but apparently it is true;

The practice of gambling at wakes is so popular (and viewed as mostly legal) that gaming syndicates reportedly organize “fake” wakes in order to provide a venue for serious gamblers. Because of the general lack of enforcement at funerals, and the slightly more stringent limits on gaming otherwise, there has been a measure of success with the business.

Apparently, obtaining a stand-in corpse for these fake wakes is as simple as renting one from the local morgue. Oftentimes, these rented (or sometimes even purchased) bodies are unclaimed corpses. For morgues, the motivation to participate in this trade is rather high as renting them out (at whatever price) is going to be more than what it would cost to store them.  **** Scratching Head.jpg

Source; http://www.knowmadicnews.com/2016/02/26/gambling-among-the-dead-in-the-philippines/

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• 3 weeks later...
nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
On 3/24/2019 at 5:34 PM, Jack Peterson said:

:shock_40_anim_gif: I was told this some years ago and did not believe it but apparently it is true;

The practice of gambling at wakes is so popular (and viewed as mostly legal) that gaming syndicates reportedly organize “fake” wakes in order to provide a venue for serious gamblers. Because of the general lack of enforcement at funerals, and the slightly more stringent limits on gaming otherwise, there has been a measure of success with the business.

Apparently, obtaining a stand-in corpse for these fake wakes is as simple as renting one from the local morgue. Oftentimes, these rented (or sometimes even purchased) bodies are unclaimed corpses. For morgues, the motivation to participate in this trade is rather high as renting them out (at whatever price) is going to be more than what it would cost to store them.  **** Scratching Head.jpg

Source; http://www.knowmadicnews.com/2016/02/26/gambling-among-the-dead-in-the-philippines/

“It’s more fun in the Philippines”

• Like 1
  • I'm Confused 1

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted

If you’re a poker player this also puts new slant on the term “dead mans hand”:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Same thing happens during All Saints Day (1st Sunday in November).  They would have an empty placement representing the dead, on the gambling table.  

As a side note, google Manila's apartment tombs.  This is part of the culture where you need to drastically adjust your way of thinking about life and death.  

• Like 1

Billoncho
Posted
Posted
On 3/25/2019 at 7:48 AM, JJReyes said:

I read a few news articles on the subject.  

Gambling during wakes is exempt from Presidential Decree 1602, also known as the Anti-Illegal Gambling Law.  While Philippine Muslims bury their dead within 24 hours, the Catholic practice is usually nine days of prayers (novena) before burial.  The reason for the length is to permit family members to travel and pay their respects.  To keep relatives, friends and neighbors at the wake, gambling is offered as a pastime.  This could be mahjong, betting and card games.  Among poorer family, a certain percentage is given to the family to defray funeral expenses.  Some parish priests are trying to put a stop by refusing last rites before burial, but it sounds like a losing battle.

Personally, my preference is to add a new tradition from Taiwan, pole dancers on jeeps and flatbed trucks as a status symbol for the wealthy.  

The pole dancers go past our apartment 2 or 3 times a year here in Taichung. One must have been really rich. 15 or 20 trucks with dancers went by. Usually only a few.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Billoncho said:

The pole dancers go past our apartment 2 or 3 times a year here in Taichung. One must have been really rich. 15 or 20 trucks with dancers went by. Usually only a few.

Just make sure the dancers don't dance on YOUR pole. Maybe your wife might not like it.:tongue:

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 4/12/2019 at 5:14 PM, Billoncho said:

Early 70's the USN ships that I served on made port visits to several ports in Taiwan. Nice country. When China protested about sovereignty our ships were never allowed to go there again. :huh:

• Like 1

Billoncho
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

Early 70's the USN ships that I served on made port visits to several ports in Taiwan. Nice country. When China protested about sovereignty our ships were never allowed to go there again. :huh:

Met my wife at Saint Christopher's in Taipei, the old Air Force church. Got in in 79 around the time the US got bullied into the "One China Policy" and officially leaving Taiwan. Now we have the American Institute in Taiwan instead of a U.S. embassy. Did make over 20 liberties in the PI from the boats I was on. I'll take a beautiful Filipina over a Chinese girl anytime. A buddy of mine in university was stationed here in the 70's and really liked it.

• Like 1