NOISY DOGS

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Great advice. This situation and others like it are why I don’t think owning a home in Philippines 🇵🇭 is practical.

But is renting really any better an option?  Yes, you can move on every time you have a problem neighbour but that's a huge hassle and cost that may make it well-nigh impossible to contemplate doing too often. 

It may just be that the country is not suitable for everyone who doesn't have an ultra thick skin. 

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
Just now, hk blues said:

But is renting really any better an option?  Yes, you can move on every time you have a problem neighbour but that's a huge hassle and cost that may make it well-nigh impossible to contemplate doing too often. 

It may just be that the country is not suitable for everyone who doesn't have an ultra thick skin. 

Yes I agree living there requires being able to adjust and accept the good with the bad.

My suggestion was intended a last resort option. 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Yes I agree living there requires being able to adjust and accept the good with the bad.

My suggestion was intended a last resort option. 

I understand.

Here, it's often accepting the not so good with the very bad when it comes to neighbours.  From my readings here, and own experience, it seems that dogs are perhaps the No1 issue. People here have a very different perception of managing dogs than perhaps we do.   

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Yes, exactly our experience too.

Our family (wife) lives in a nice new subdivision outside of Cebu City now. Four or five homes have a small cage with a nice purebred type dog inside. In one case two cages one atop another. I never noticed the dogs allowed out those cages. The dogs are barking and yapping all day it’s very sad.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

RubberChicken
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

Great advice. This situation and others like it are why I don’t think owning a home in Philippines 🇵🇭 is practical.

We own cheap house because we applied the wisdom of always being able to walk away. It was no surprise to us before we purchased that the people here tend to magnify and take inordinately personal any perceived critism. Insecurity, poverty? Then again, we met some beautiful people on our street that are nicer then we could hope for anywhere in the world. Very kind, patient, honest and family oriented. 

• Like 2
  • Love it 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Old55 said:

Four or five homes have a small cage with a nice purebred type dog inside. In one case two cages one atop another. I never noticed the dogs allowed out those cages. The dogs are barking and yapping all day it’s very sad.

I made a choice to walk chum chum (our labrabor puppy) each day when I'm in the Philippines and I noticed that after I'd been walking him for a month (just up and down the block a couple of times) that some of the neighbours would come out with a dog and start talking dog breeds.

I mentioned (just in passing) that walking the dog gives the dog exercise and improves the health and appearance of the dog and shortly after I noticed that a couple of other houses now have people walking dogs in our street.

I'm in Aussie right now but SWMBO is still walking chum chum most days, I wouldn't own a dog just to keep it in a cage.

I grew up in the country and it was my chore as a child to look after the chickens (feed, water, collect eggs, clean the pen and help with repairs) and listening to roosters crowing, cows lowing, sheep baaing and dogs barking was just my normal 'time to get out of bed wake up call'.

I guess having grown up with that some of that childhood experience stays with you and honestly, the animal noises that lots of people complain about doesn't bother me most of the time. 

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 3/31/2019 at 6:53 AM, sonjack2847 said:

That`s ok if you`re renting but he owns the house. I would go to the estate managers first and then to the Barangay captain if that failed. 

Normally very good advice Kevi how ever this guy (still friendly) is one of the wealthiest people in Negros Occidental so  I could not see any barangay meeting going against him, plus on surface all good. His house here is one of many he owns an  uses, think its more to do with his helpers.

RBM
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Old55 said:

Our family (wife) lives in a nice new subdivision outside of Cebu City now. Four or five homes have a small cage with a nice purebred type dog inside. In one case two cages one atop another. I never noticed the dogs allowed out those cages. The dogs are barking and yapping all day it’s very sad.

Also sad for the neighbours...

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Old55 said:

It is very sad. I see it every single day. Until Filipinos change their attitude about dogs (not in my lifetime) I have learned just to deal with it. They just don't care about man's best friend the way westerners do! :angry:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

It is very sad. I see it every single day. Until Filipinos change their attitude about dogs (not in my lifetime) I have learned just to deal with it. They just don't care about man's best friend the way westerners do! :angry:

Maybe that is changing as l now see so many with usually small dogs taking them with them every where and into restaurants. Well here in the IT park at least. 

• Like 1