Gobsmacked! with a little rant thrown in.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

She's young. Continue being a good example. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted (edited)

On my first visits to the Philippines to meet Emma and see her family I was amazed they had a helper in the house hold, or in my eyes a slave, yes I had entered into a different way of life where you just left everything for this one person to do.

What made it worst for me was how the kids treated her leaving the pots and pans where ever they had eaten , cloths just left and when I asked the answer was it’s her job.

Yes I understand they get a wage but a little work by the kids may help them in their own future, just my own thoughts.

Edited by stevewool
Spelling again
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Hi Jack... sorry for slow response, but I just came online here recently...

I think you make a great point. I see the spoiled kid across the street who always blasts his horn four or five times to alert the household working student to open the gate for him. If she does not appear within 10 seconds, than a second round of horn blasting ensues. Then I hear him talk loudly to her about something (I don't understand the content, but I do recognize the volume and tone as being demanding and condescending).

I just wanted to add that this behaviour may be manifest here in the Philippines, but I have seen it also in USA. Maybe it's just because I am an old fart, but it does seem to me that kids are not brought up with the same standards that most of us experienced - fair to say?

My parents were rather strict - my older sister rebelled to that and I mostly embraced it - don't know why. But I felt my mostly strict upbringing helped to make me a better person than I might otherwise have been. To me it's all about respect. My parents also lived through the depression and worked themselves up through the years. I admire them greatly. They set good examples for myself and my somewhat rebellious sister - always polite, never a loud or mean word and they did most everything themselves - so servants, helpers at all - right to the very end of their lives. How good is that?

I have had times when boarding a local ferry and heading to the disabled, pregnant woman, elderly seat with my heavy backpack loaded with groceries. Then I have stood next to it gazing at the half dozen teenagers sitting there texting or FaceBooking. I would guess that 75% of the time one of them would notice and get up to offer me their seat. The rest of the time, they looked away or stayed busy with their phones.

And no... I can't claim to be that good and nice as my parents...but I do try...best I can do.

Cheers! And thanks for this topic.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

. Maybe it's just because I am an old fart, but it does seem to me that kids are not brought up with the same standards that most of us experienced

:hystery: Tom, this seems very Apt here   Fart.png:whistling:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Bwahahahaha! Nice one, Jack! That's it exactly!

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Too bad, I shaved off my beard, or that would be me!

• Haha 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

That's it exactly!

Much to here dislike when I have need to talk to Sprog.jpg I tell her Honey I love you to bits but there are days I just Don't like you :whistling:

• Like 2